PDA

View Full Version : Underground Sap Tank?

Loch Muller
09-04-2014, 07:04 PM
So I'm setting up a new sugar house and I have an old 500 gallon stainless milk tank that I will be using as my bulk tank. I think I remember seeing some under ground tanks somewhere before, and I'm wondering if it is worth the effort (I have access to a backhoe). If I did it I think I would only partially bury the tank so the cover can still be removed for cleaning the tank. Seems like this would help keep the sap cold, especially when the frost is still in the ground. Has anyone on here tried this before?

OGDENS SUGAR BUSH
09-06-2014, 08:01 PM
I buried a 200 gal stainless tank because i had zero slope, I have about 6 or 7 inches above the ground. I have a pit on the drain end so i can wash it out and clean it. frost doesnt have a big effect on the sap it stays cool enough. I think if i redo it i would have the releaser dump in to a small tank with a sub pump set up to keep it pumped out

vernon
09-07-2014, 06:28 AM
Have to be careful it does not floot up when it is empty in wet weather. Had this experiance with a 500 gal. fuel tank .....Vernon.

Loch Muller
09-08-2014, 06:25 AM
Hadn't thought about the tank floating up when things get soupy in the spring. My sugar house is located right next to a bank so I was thinking about plumbing a drain from the bottom of the tank right off the bank for washing. Thanks for the advice.

markct
09-08-2014, 07:37 AM
If its going into the side of a bank like that floating shouldnt be an issue if you use a little crushed stone around it and some drain pipes