PDA

View Full Version : Appelstroop

gbwez
09-04-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm considering using my maple evaporator to boil down apple juice into apple syrup... has anyone else done this?

DrTimPerkins
09-04-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm considering using my maple evaporator to boil down apple juice into apple syrup... has anyone else done this?

Do you have welded or soldered pans? If soldered, are they pre-1994? If so, the joints contain lead. Apple juice is far more acidic than sap, so dissolves the lead fairly quickly, contaminating the apple syrup.

SDdave
09-05-2014, 06:07 PM
I think Anderson's Maple Syrup out of Wisconsin does.

SDdave

gbwez
09-05-2014, 08:43 PM
Welded pans. I'm going to give it a try this weekend.

Thad Blaisdell
09-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Did some, try it on the stove first so that you know the right density. I went too far the first try. It turned into something like cranberry sauce after it cooled. Now joe boisvert down in mass did a whole batch that came out well. It is a very unique taste for sure. He mixed some 50/50 with maple and it was pretty good

gbwez
09-10-2014, 06:04 PM
I made two batches using two different recipes. The was made with apple juice, with added sugar. This boiled down to something resembling molasses that is palatable but not as good as the second recipe which starts by boiling up the whole fruit to make a giant pan of applesauce which is then squeezed through a bag to extract the liquid, then boiled down further. The pectin sets it like a jelly and it's very good on toast!