PDA

View Full Version : Moving a used evaporator

Bush
09-03-2014, 08:53 PM
I am going to be purchasing a used 2" x5.5" used evaporator. I am going to pick up with my trailer. I know it will be very heavy with all the firebrick in it, but I was wondering if it is ok to leave them in or will it damage it?
Thank you very much.

GeneralStark
09-03-2014, 09:24 PM
How long ago was it bricked? If more than a few seasons it may be worth re-bricking anyway. If not, it is fine to move it bricked. It would be worth supporting the bricks with some kind of form. I have heard of people using wood forms, or I recently heard of someone inflating a flotation bag (heavy duty material) inside the arch.

There is certainly the risk of the brisks or mortar failing in transit.

Bush
09-03-2014, 09:32 PM
How long ago was it bricked? If more than a few seasons it may be worth re-bricking anyway. If not, it is fine to move it bricked. It would be worth supporting the bricks with some kind of form. I have heard of people using wood forms, or I recently heard of someone inflating a flotation bag (heavy duty material) inside the arch.

There is certainly the risk of the brisks or mortar failing in transit.

It was only bricked 2 years ago. So it will be fine with no other support for arch, but I should support the bricks inside the arch so they don't fall over?
Thank you very much for your help.

GeneralStark
09-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Yes. The more you can support the bricks, the less chance they will move.

lew
09-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Also consider what shape the steel is in. If its an old arch and the steel is rusted heavily to the point of thinning it may warrant removing the bricks. I didn't see you mention if it was homemade or not. If it's a homemade arch, is the steel capable of transfer with this much weight? Just a couple of thoughts I had.

Bush
09-04-2014, 04:36 PM
I have seen pictures and it looks to be in great shape, it is only 5 years old and it is a Lapierre Small.

Cabin
09-05-2014, 07:55 AM
I am going to be purchasing a used 2" x5.5" used evaporator. I am going to pick up with my trailer. I know it will be very heavy with all the firebrick in it, but I was wondering if it is ok to leave them in or will it damage it?
Thank you very much.

Will it damage YOU is the better question. Bricks are heavy. I wonder if you risk bending the arch if you transport it with all the bricks in it.

StayinLowTech
09-05-2014, 08:00 AM
A form of plywood cut to fit against the brick with 2x4s running between the plywood is how mine was transported and everything held fine.