PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum

tonka
08-30-2014, 08:12 PM
For collection tanks and transfer tank I was planning on making a few tanks and was planning on using aluminum, any reason why I shouldn't use aluminum? I would use SS except there is a bit of a price difference between the two metals.

mountain man maple
08-31-2014, 05:25 AM
How large of tanks are you planning on building? Will there be any seams in tanks? Aluminum is a lot more porous than stainless. that would be the biggest reason stainless would be more often used in food handling.

tonka
09-01-2014, 04:34 PM
I was planning on making a fully enclosed for the transfer tank with a hole on top and a valve on the bottom and the collection tanks would be like the ones you can get through supply dealers but would some how make a roof/lid for the tank to keep out unwanted things from mixing with the sap. Transfer tank I was thinking around 100 gallons and for collection around that 300-500 gallons.

lpakiz
09-01-2014, 08:59 PM
Tonka,
Keep in mind the "slosh" factor. You will need a fairly tight lid to keep the sap from escaping when starting, stopping and going over bumps and thru ruts...

DrTimPerkins
09-02-2014, 09:35 AM
For collection tanks and transfer tank I was planning on making a few tanks and was planning on using aluminum, any reason why I shouldn't use aluminum?

Most regulations state that materials must be "suitable for their intended use", but then often do not list what is suitable or not suitable.

The consensus standards of the LMEA Committee (Association of Maple Equipment Manufacturers) list aluminum as NOT an acceptable material for sap storage tanks.
http://www.internationalmaplesyrupinstitute.com/uploads/7/0/9/2/7092109/__lmea_-_standards_on_maple_equipment.pdf

So if you're looking for a reason to NOT use aluminum, then the fact that this trade association that deals ONLY with maple equipment doesn't allow it is somewhat telling, however there is not anything (that I'm aware of) that says you absolutely CAN'T do it. Of course if you're selling to a packer, they may have their own set of rules. In general, tanks within the majority of food industries are constructed of SS.

GeneralStark
09-02-2014, 09:53 AM
There certainly are many sap buckets being used that are made of aluminum. There are several "grades" of aluminum, some more appropriate for food production than others. Certainly, aluminum will not be nearly as easy to clean as stainless, but is a better option than galvanized steel, if the better types are used.

It is certainly not used very much in food production for many reasons.

n8hutch
09-02-2014, 01:09 PM
I would consider going with stainless for the resale value. I'm sure you probably would never sell the tanks, but if you decided to down the road you would have something much easier to sell.

unc23win
09-02-2014, 01:09 PM
I was planning on making a fully enclosed for the transfer tank with a hole on top and a valve on the bottom and the collection tanks would be like the ones you can get through supply dealers but would some how make a roof/lid for the tank to keep out unwanted things from mixing with the sap. Transfer tank I was thinking around 100 gallons and for collection around that 300-500 gallons.

I would probably go with a plastic tank to haul with and maybe for your collection tank as well. As others said aluminum is not the best choice. Saving money is definitely understandable as well. A plastic food grade tank can be found many places new or used. Not as as easy to clean or as hardy as stainless, but perhaps more affordable for you now. Not only that if you are like most of us you will expand and most likely the tank you buy or build may not be big enough later on. If you are talented and can afford to do so then building a stainless tank for your collection tank may be your best bet. Maybe even a used stainless tank might work for you you probably could never go wrong getting one bigger than what you want now.

Each of us has to make the best decision for our operations at the current state we are in as to what is the best choice and what is affordable and also factor in the food grade part, sometimes its easier said than done.

DrTimPerkins
09-02-2014, 01:14 PM
There certainly are many sap buckets being used that are made of aluminum.

That is true, and the LMEA report does allow aluminum sap buckets, although I believe some companies have phased them out due to regulatory uncertainties.

markct
09-02-2014, 03:30 PM
Just curious but what is the proper sap bucket nowdays? Havent seen any stainless and doubt they would be cost effective.

maple flats
09-03-2014, 06:30 AM
The sap bucket answer may be why sap sacks are becoming more popular. Use them 1 season and the recycle them and buy new.

TonyL
09-03-2014, 12:22 PM
I wonder if the apparent discrepancies regarding aluminum for tanks vs. buckets might be due to their manufacture? From the looks of things, our buckets are formed from one piece of sheet. A tank on the other hand, would be subject to welding during fabrication.

Aluminum is still used in the manufacture of buckets for 1 gallon electric ice cream freezers. And they are certainly in direct contact with the ice cream.

happy thoughts
09-03-2014, 01:50 PM
I wonder if the apparent discrepancies regarding aluminum for tanks vs. buckets might be due to their manufacture? From the looks of things, our buckets are formed from one piece of sheet. A tank on the other hand, would be subject to welding during fabrication.

Aluminum is still used in the manufacture of buckets for 1 gallon electric ice cream freezers. And they are certainly in direct contact with the ice cream.

Along the same lines I was wondering if the tendency for increased sap acidification in storage when conditions are less than optimal might also have something to do with it. Aluminum is reactive and acid solutions will cause pitting and corrosion, A bucket filled with fresh sap that gets emptied daily isn't going to have the same problems.

tonka
09-03-2014, 05:05 PM
Thanks for all your input!! I sure do appreciate advice, specially when it comes from more knowledge people! I do plan on welding up my own tanks. This winter I will be fabricating a whole new arch, pans, smoke stack, steam stack, and a steam hood(that will be made of aluminum). I know where I order the steel, the more I order the better price I get but it is looking like it would be worth the extra cash and buy stainless rather then using aluminum. In my transfer tank I do plan on having dividers with holes on the bottom to allow sap flow through the tank but will help prevent the sloshing of the sap. Thanks again to you all!

mountain man maple
09-03-2014, 06:14 PM
Building my own stainless tanks I have been able to stay around .80 a gallon for materials to build tanks.