PDA

View Full Version : Maple syrup "concentrate"

Jebediah
08-27-2014, 11:33 PM
Here's something worth trying--take some syrup and concentrate maybe 20% (very roughly), see what you think. I reduced about a gallon like this the other day, and the result is fantastic--viscosity unlike any maple syrup I've seen, and unbelievably strong taste. An an eye-opening exercise.

DrTimPerkins
08-28-2014, 09:09 AM
Here's something worth trying--take some syrup and concentrate maybe 20% (very roughly), see what you think. I reduced about a gallon like this the other day, and the result is fantastic--viscosity unlike any maple syrup I've seen, and unbelievably strong taste. An an eye-opening exercise.

This is essentially what you do when you make sugar-on-snow or cream or candy (depending upon the temperature you took it to). It is not legal (at least in some places) to call it "maple syrup" at that point, as some jurisdictions have upper limits on syrup density (as does the new grading system).

Jebediah
08-28-2014, 10:47 AM
You're right, it's not really novel. I have read, though, that one gripe people have about maple syrup is lack of viscosity, or thickness, having been conditioned to expect it from Log Cabin, etc. This stuff has the thickness--my guess is it would fly off the shelves. Maybe you could call it "maple pancake topping." To be fair (or to divert blame), "maple pancake topping" is my wife's idea.

DrTimPerkins
08-28-2014, 10:59 AM
This stuff has the thickness--my guess is it would fly off the shelves.

The problem is that it would crystallize in the container relatively quickly.

Jebediah
08-28-2014, 12:39 PM
You're probably right, hadn't thought of that. Have one open jar in the fridge for a week, OK thus far, but time will tell. Maybe I found a "sweet spot." However, children are eating spoonfuls of it daily, so maybe a short fridge experiment.

Cabin
08-28-2014, 12:55 PM
The first batch I made extra thick I have found crystals forming after about a month after three months I had jars with 1/8 inch of sugar crystals in them and the syrup seemed as thin as 'normal syrup'.

DrTimPerkins
08-28-2014, 01:52 PM
You're probably right, hadn't thought of that. Have one open jar in the fridge for a week, OK thus far, but time will tell. Maybe I found a "sweet spot." However, children are eating spoonfuls of it daily, so maybe a short fridge experiment.

Refrigeration will maintain it in a "glass" or taffy-like state for a longer period of time, but crystallization will still occur, just considerably more slowly.

Jebediah
08-28-2014, 02:34 PM
Interesting, thanks, my guess would have been that low temp would accelerate crystallization.

DrTimPerkins
08-28-2014, 04:17 PM
Interesting, thanks, my guess would have been that low temp would accelerate crystallization.

No, crystallation is a process of dissolution and precipitation. Cold temperatures will impede it. What you have made is a supersaturated solution, so the natural tendency is for crystals to form. If you want to speed it up, give it some "seed" crystals to start the process of nucleation by putting a pinch of table sugar into it. Makes very nice rock candy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_candy

Jebediah
08-28-2014, 07:19 PM
I certainly like candy--thank you!

Sunday Rock Maple
08-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Seems like some folks were doing something to thicken syrup under pressure a few years back?

Jebediah
08-30-2014, 07:23 AM
Dr. Tim told me about "Extra Thick Syrup" by Shady Maple, maybe this is it. Sure enough, as predicted by those in the know (not me), our "maple syrup concentrate" was somewhat crystallized this morning. Oh well. Now it is called "Crunchy Maple Syrup." Still pretty good...

Cabin
09-14-2014, 04:55 PM
I was wondering. If you make an extra thick syrup and you let the sugar crystalize at what % does the crystallization stop?