PDA

View Full Version : bucket paint?

tuckermtn
01-12-2007, 10:38 PM
What type of food grade paint have people used to touch up rusty galv. buckets? Looks like Bascoms sells some pricey stuff, but looking for alternatives...

thanks

super sappy
01-13-2007, 04:57 AM
I used a paint called CAMBRIDGE COATINGS PAINTS EPOXY-ESTER CLEAR COATING. This is available at the Betterbee in in Greenwich NY ( They have a website -I just stopped in ) The stuff was advertised to seal old galvanized equipment and it did seem to work.I did 10 pails last year and they held up good. I stacked and moved the stacks several times over the off season and they did not scratch or flake.I will use it again if I need to .I think that it was about $15.00 per qt.Super sappy

tuckermtn
01-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Anyone have any experience with this product-

http://www.clearcoproducts.com/cold_galvanize_sprays.html

they make a spray cold galvanizer...supposedly food grade.

$62+ shipping for 12 can case

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-15-2007, 08:43 AM
post edited

brookledge
01-15-2007, 12:50 PM
Kevin
I don't think it will hold up to the heat in your base stack.
Keith

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-15-2007, 01:17 PM
post edited

H. Walker
01-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Walmart here in Canada have their own brand of rust/metal paint that is as they say, safe and non-toxic and can be used on baby furniture and toys. They don't say it's food grade but if it's safe for kids to eat, I figure it's safe enough for me.

Parker
01-16-2007, 05:47 AM
I have a few round bottom galvanized sap tanks that I use (old Grimm tanks) that were rusty,,I brought them over to Tom Heath (body-paint man) he cleaned them up and painted them with Food Grade dairy white paint,,,,Grainger part #6a396,,,,,if you are going to be selling your product to the public make sure you use food grade everything,dont guess at it,,no one wants and tainted-unsafe syrup out there......a gallon goes a long way

mountainvan
01-16-2007, 06:26 AM
I've tried the cold galv. spray, kylon I think, and don't like it. I wash my equipment with a pressure washer, stuff comes right off. If my buckets get rusty I sell them to the tourist and buy aluminum ones. No rust there.