PDA

View Full Version : Electric Motor ratings

mountain man maple
08-08-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm getting ready to put my second vacuum pump setup together. On both maple sites I have read where farm duty rated is the way to go for a vacuum pump. I can buy a marathon motor for about $50 less than a farm duty motor like I have on my existing setup. Both motors are capacitor start and both have 1.15 service factor. Both are also continuous duty rated. Is there some other benefit of the farm duty that I am missing?

unc23win
08-08-2014, 05:15 PM
I you are referring to the Marathons like Tractor Supply sells they are great motors. I have 3 1.5 Horse ones and I like all and run them all continuous. They are easy to wire and real easy to change direction as well as 110 or 220. I think the last one I got was $250 and was on sale and got it for less than that (last March) plus at TSC you can do tax exempt. Right now I see its listed for $299. Ask when they might be on sale. Usually the farm duty are slower RPMS 1740 range which is what most pumps take.

western mainer
08-08-2014, 06:16 PM
I got the best deal here for a electric motor. A lot to pick from.
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/singlephase_menu.htm
Brian

BreezyHill
08-09-2014, 08:39 AM
Check the FLA...Full Load Amperage rating and the weigh of the motor. Lighter winded motors are lighter...thus are cheaper. I have had fair luck win marathon motors lasting for upto five years. For longer lasting get Dayton motors. More money but last much longer...have some at 20+ years still going strong using them every week of the year.

Fan cooled is also a must.

Ben

mountain man maple
08-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Both motors I am looking at are totally enclosed fan cooled (Tefc) motors there is a little bit of weight difference. Already over sizing motor a bit tho to be sure vacuum pump does not overload motor. So I would probably be alright with either motor I would think.