PDA

View Full Version : power options for vacuum pumps

PerryFamily
08-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Currently have 2 and soon to be 3 vacuum pumps powered by 5.5hp Honda engines. I had a fair amount of trouble last season with reliability as well as what I think is excessive fuel consumption. Therefore I am looking for alternative power sources.
Here are my thoughts: please chime in with any info!!

1) electricity.
Obviously the best alternative. Power is reasonably close. Due to scheduling with GMP as well finances this potentially is not an option at this time.

2) Diesel Generator
Thinking a used or off brand diesel generator. Wondering about fuel consumption and sizing. Also as far as off brands any idea on where go find one ? Any better than others?

3) Converting existing engines to propane.
Thinking fuel consumption may be better and can get a much larger tank?
As well a run better?

Looking for some cost effective options.
Thanks in advance!

Walling's Maple Syrup
08-07-2014, 07:45 PM
I would find a way to run your pumps with electricity. Whatever it takes. You will not be disappointed. I am speaking from experience on this subject. Whatever extra it costs for electric will be money well spent and time saved.
Neil

maple maniac65
08-07-2014, 07:47 PM
using a Airablo 5.5hp 8cfm pump and it consumes 5-6 gallons of gas every 24 hours of use. Cheaper than electricity from the coop.

PerryFamily
08-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Walling I agree with you 100%. I have a call into GMP to try to nail them down as far as price and schedule. A guy locally ran a 3/4hp atlas copco pump for the entire month of march and the electric bill was less than $40!! That's only 48hrs worth of gasoline!

unc23win
08-07-2014, 09:41 PM
I agree with Neil its totally worth the dollars. If your getting on the list now you have plenty of time. I just met with electric co yesterday and told them my plans and it ended up they are expanding the transformer when they hook up my service (I'm seperating the sugarhouse from house) so if I want another service later they can handle it (a lot of guys have more than one). Another plus with electric is that you might be able to add an the auto switch for your pumps.

Walling's Maple Syrup
08-08-2014, 07:06 AM
using a Airablo 5.5hp 8cfm pump and it consumes 5-6 gallons of gas every 24 hours of use. Cheaper than electricity from the coop.
I have that same pump, but on electric. During a typical sugaring season, it costs $1.50 a day to run. That equates to around $45 a month to run this pump with electricity. It typically runs nonstop unless there is an extended freeze-up.
Neil

BreezyHill
08-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Our feed mill is run 100% on generator power. 45 KW gas/Propane and a 100KW Cat Diesel. If it was not going to cost 60 K in the late 1980's to bring in 3 phase I would have not gone with generation. It has been great to have the ability to run the entire farm and two homes and the two shops when grid power went done for short and long term. The 45 KW runs on as little as 2 gallons/ hr and as high as 4 gallons/ hr.

It is most generally far better to hook to grid power and especially if you are on residential rate and not commercial rate. Commercial rate is nearly twice as much on National Grid.

1 hp is =+- 750watts, 1000 watts = 1 Kw. These are normal conversion rates that are affected by efficiency variables and current draw due to the work load of the motor.

Propane is more efficient than gas but can during high demand times cost more than gas to run motors. A well maintained carb is needed for propane as well a gas. Any motor used with ethanol fuel needs annual checking for gasket deterioration. Every year we take apart our snowmobile carbs no matter how many or few the miles were. You would be amazed at what is in them from just sitting. Sitting dry is even worse as the film on the bowl flacks off and will plug the jets and blow a motor.

I am of the grid power camp, for powering pumps, if grid power is not available then gas power would be your best alternative with the investment in an rpm sensor. Check to see what the design rpm of the pump is and calculate what size drive pulley is needed to run the pump at around 1/3 throttle of the motor for more efficient fuel usage.

Kubota diesel generators are very efficient but costly to over haul as are Cat units. My most efficient generator is a PTO unit that is driven by a small Kubota tractor with a 3 speed PTO. I run the unit on 1000 rpm to achieve 60 cycles, with the tractor at under half throttle and spins the unit very well. Runs on around 5 gallons of diesel/ 24 hrs.

Most cost efficient will be to change your pulley speed to ge the poser needed to sping the pump at the lowest throttle position of the Honda as possible while not over heating the unit.

Ben

unc23win
08-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Having to have 3 Phase or wanting it is whole other ball game that's for sure. Not very common in rural america and not cheap if it is available. NO THANKS!

PerryFamily
08-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Good news
Talked to GMP today and set up a meeting with them on Tuesday for site visits. Seems very reasonable from their side only a hook up fee.
Now I need to get a price from electrician. Thinking of about 10' away from the pole set a 4x4 and run conduit back to the pole. Meter and panel on the post, similar to a temporary house service. Then just wire the pump with UF or pump wire.

Any idea what size service is needed? Thinking 50 amp is plenty for 3 hp pump?

maple flats
08-08-2014, 08:19 PM
double the service for expansion and improvements.

unc23win
08-08-2014, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=PerryFamily Any idea what size service is needed? Thinking 50 amp is plenty for 3 hp pump?[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about a service just for a pump? I would get more than 50 you never know what you might want later. 5 horse is about 30 amps and 7.5 horse is about 60 amps. Can you really only get a 50 amp service?

PerryFamily
08-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Unc- No I believe I could get whatever is needed.
2 of the three are maxed out at under 500 taps to no need for a large service.
The third is 77 acres so I guess that there could be potential for expansion. I have walked it and once out of the main maple area it is pretty sparatic.

I was thinking from a cost standpoint.

PerryFamily
08-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Update
The meeting with GMP went very good. Two out of three are very straight forward. The third however is going to need a new pole which is thankfully no cost to me. I need to provide a post with a 100amp meter panel on a pressure treated backstop a minimum of 8' from the pole. Very simple and straight forward. Cost for the hook up fee from GMP $285 +/-.
I would think with the consistent vacuum this should pay for itself in one season. Will also have a small cost in gravel and stone for access off the main road. Well worth it than dealing with mud!!

claytski
08-13-2014, 07:16 PM
especially since you know your way around the equipment and dirt! Sounds good and exciting on the project! I will be expanding more supplies this year so stop by the shop at Burnett road once the season gets closer. I have a whole bunch of custom RO orders this year so your welcome to stop by during fabrication- we know Bart will be there hanging out!