PDA

View Full Version : Cupola Design Question

Birddog
08-06-2014, 01:10 PM
I'm in the process of framing a cupola on my small shack. The question I have is how do I keep water from leaking in on the side where the steam doors run along the roof. I thought of building up a small wall there (and hinge the door to it) but not sure how high it needs to be to keep water and snow melt from leaking in. Would 6 inches with flashing be enough? The roof is a 10/12 pitch and the cupola is about 4 feet long. I'm in Minnesota and of course we get a lot of snow.

Any help would be appreciated.

MISugarDaddy
08-06-2014, 05:45 PM
I would think that 6" of flashing would be enough where you are located. I am located in northern Michigan and that is all I used on my cupola when I built it last year and with last year's snow, we didn't have any problems with leakage. I am not sure how much snow you got last year, but we received 180" and there was at least 18" of packed snow on the roof when we started tapping last March. We had to dig through 4' of hard packed snow just to get the sugarhouse open!!! Our sugarhouse roof has an 8/12 pitch.

Birddog
08-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Misugardaddy - thanks for the reply. I don't get as much snow as you and that was exactly the answer I was hoping for.

Scribner's Mountain Maple
08-07-2014, 06:26 AM
Sounds like that you are doing will work good. One idea I think is more important to solving water getting in the seam is the overhang of the Cupola roof. Specifically I would run my Cupola roof system at least 12" out beyond the steam door / roof joint location. That way you don't need any flashing really. As water and snow will not build up in that spot. That's how mine is and we get over 10' of snow per year.

Ben

Birddog
08-07-2014, 09:33 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/08/du7y6a2e.jpg This is my progress on my little 10x12 Shack. I have renewed my appreciation for those of you that are skilled carpenters.