PDA

View Full Version : Ordered the wrong steam pans: 4 vs 6 inch depth

mudr
08-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Hi all,
I am eagerly awaiting the weekend to start building my new (first ever) evaporator setup. I've done maple before with my uncle in law, decent sized operation. I helped for 3 years, mainly as "bucket carrying guy" in the woods. I'm doing the trusty entry level evaporator build- the 55 gallon drum. Just looking at doing enough for my family and maybe give a few quarts to people as gifts. I was hoping to do the build this week, buttt, I just checked my amazon order and saw I got 4 inch deep pans when I thought I ordered 6 inchers. I know most people use either 4 or 6 deep, so obviously 4 works, but, should I order 6 inchers now before I start the build? I don't know how much of a difference it will make. I'm at the stage where I can easily return them, so if I should do it, now is the time.

Thanks for everything guys. Your site has been an inspiration to me and a drain on my wallet. And I'm just doing a cheap build!

Cabin
08-06-2014, 01:32 PM
I think the lip size is the same. I have 5 heavy duty pans that have about a one inch wider base than the light duty pans. Most people seem to rest the pans on the lip, I like to rest them on the base so they are easier to remove from the fire. I just got a like new 24 x 30 batch pan I have to make fit for next year.

happy thoughts
08-06-2014, 07:25 PM
If you can switch the order without a hassle, I'd do it. The extra depth buys some time if you start foaming over but as you said, 4" will work, too.

mudr
08-06-2014, 08:09 PM
They will be delivered tomorrow, I believe amazon has a fairly low hassle return policy. I've located a restaurant supply store the next town over (always known about it, never been there) that has steam pans. Never thought about looking at them, figured they'd be pricey. Well, they are $2 cheaper for a 6 inch pan than the 4 inch vollraths I ordered on amazon. Granted, I didn't get a brand name when I called. Nonetheless, I will swing by there Friday and get the 6ers and return the 4s.

maple flats
08-07-2014, 05:56 AM
Deeper is better. Make the change.