PDA

View Full Version : CT laws on gator,kawasaki mules etc for farm use

markct
08-06-2014, 08:07 AM
Does anyone know the legality of using a vehicle like our kawasaki mule on road in CT? We always treated it same as a tractor or other farm equip and ran it short distances on road when needed but got wondering where to find the actual rule if any. For farm use i dont see why it wouldnt be considered farm equipment

Thompson's Tree Farm
08-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Don't know about Conn. but in NY vehicle top speed must be25mph or less and then it is treated as a "tractor".

markct
08-06-2014, 08:40 AM
I imagin thats why kawasaki limited the mule to under 25mph. As best i can tell from farm beraue pamphlet guidlines for our use it would be farm equip

BreezyHill
08-06-2014, 09:29 AM
They are very difficult in many states...they are not considered a tractor as they do not have a power tack off(PTO) as an option. They are classified as a UTV Utility Vehical. In some states the max weight for this class is 1500 some it is 1000#. In NY they are currently unregisterable due to be over weight.

The SMVslow moving vehical is the 25 mph and under class...but in NY some in this class still must be registered as special commercial depending on their use.

There is work being done in NY to get UTV and ATV registration so they can be used on the road but it is not going well. In one county you have to have written permission of the land owner you are on to have the unit of off your property. So when we do snow trail work we have to have a note book with all the permission slips of all the land owners with us..by law. Often it is forgotten but most of the sheriffs and troopers know me and don't bother us any longer.

It will be listed in your states commercial vehicle or utility vehicle registration laws. You will need to know the dry weight of the vehicle and the carry capacity of the vehicle.

Friend at DMV passed this link on to me for you. http://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rpt/2010-R-0442.htm

Hope this helps.

Ben

markct
08-06-2014, 09:57 AM
This is where it all gets confusing as i have read that link before and it refers to atvs only which mules are not by definition. So i suppose we will continue to use it under the definition of farm equipment which it fits well for our use.

Super Sapper
08-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Just make sure you carry some maple glazed doughnuts and you are good to go! In Wisconsin you can register your vehicle for farm use, I'm not sure on other states. They are also designating more roads as ATV trails with a 35 mph speed limit which is nice also.

Bucket Head
09-07-2014, 08:59 PM
I do not work for the DMV (so I'm not an authority) and I can't speak about the other makes, but a neighbor of mine has a Kubota utility vehicle and he claims its considered a tractor. He drives it on the road often. He says he keeps the paperwork with him stating its considered a tractor, just incase he gets stopped. I did not see the "paperwork" so I don't know what it would be. He did mention the weight and speed of it does'nt classify it as a motor vehicle.

Okay, now we need a Kubota and John Deere dealer to chime in here!

I was going to also list a DMV representative, but I did'nt because I know how much help my local representatives are when I have a question...

Steve

wishlist
09-07-2014, 10:45 PM
I can help with Kubota RTV for Michigan as I just bought one and checked on the the legal issues of driving it on the road here. SMV sign and as long as I'm using it for Ag use I'm all set. This can be anything from cutting wood to collecting sap. :)