PDA

View Full Version : August Journal

DrTimPerkins
08-01-2014, 07:38 AM
Several new tubing projects going on at UVM PMRC this summer. Things were very busy in the early summer, but slowing down now so that we have some time to write.

southfork
08-02-2014, 06:44 AM
Contractors are finishing up tubing and collecting station installation. Will have about 5,500 taps completed on high vac. Beginning to plan new sugarhouse based on the quality control principles and standards utilized at Crown Maple in New York. Trying to increase the quality of my food production by processing sap faster and improving cleanliness and efficiency. Have about 8,000 more taps to install over the next two years. Beginning to research obtaining " organic " certification.

sjdoyon
08-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Spent the weekend clearing under brush for the new wet/dry line which will tee off of our 2" wet/dry line so we can add another 4,000+ taps next month. Have a new Argo 8x8 arriving this week.

maple flats
08-04-2014, 06:50 AM
With all the rain I've been getting lately, I may need a fleet of Argo's for my u-pick blueberry customers to use, the fields are wetter than any previous time since before I planted in 1982. The Argo's would also help in the sugar bushes. All I could do for working in my blueberries is buy some Mud Hog tires for all 4 to help. We've been clearing trees and brush from in a few rows and around the field edges, we drag them with the ATV 4x to the chipper on the tractor, that causes less damage to the soaked ground than moving the tractor/chipper to the trees/brush.
Congrats on your new Argo!

unc23win
08-04-2014, 08:32 AM
Rain Rain go away! I have been trying to get started on installing some lines, but haven't gotten far with all the rain. We just finished hay a little over a week ago seemed like the longest it has ever taken with all the rain. It sure hasn't been too hot to work just too wet!

jmayerl
08-04-2014, 08:07 PM
We'll take your rain here! .2" in the past 5 weeks

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
08-04-2014, 08:47 PM
I'm there too. Very dry. Know you are very wet Dave but a lot of the country in bad, bad need of rain.

maple flats
08-05-2014, 06:43 AM
I sure wish I could send it your way. We again had heavy rain for about 2 hrs yesterday. Today there is a 50% chance for thunderstorms again. 2 Yrs ago, I had to buy drip irrigation to save my bushes from drought, some were so dry they lost their leaves to conserve moisture. Now it won't dry out enough. The bushes are loaded but with all the rain sales are down some. If I get a dry week soon, sales could top my best year ever. Praying for sunshine.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
08-05-2014, 03:10 PM
Wish I were closer. I love blueberries and they are my favorite fruit.

PATheron
08-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Getting some maple work done this summer but have been doing more family things than maple work. Kind of planning my next move. Did get all the taps pulled. Trees are healing nicely and look real good this summer. Did kind of a first thinning in a young stand of red maples and did run the wire and lateral lines. Very thick with trees almost like weeds. Think maybe a bit over a thousand taps. Gonna have to finish that up but will be easy because just runs into existing setup. Been working on ro machines adding posts and adding pumps, motors, etc. Kind of everything I can do without spending a lot of money. Doing washes on membranes, etc. Thinking all Im going to do between now and season is maintainance on my lines, fix anything needs it and just finetune things. Want to have new taps on by first of Jan and first week of new year all froze up will be operation exteme tapoff 2015. Gonna try to hit 5000 gallons. Probly wont but doesn't hurt to try. Theee(hookin up trees till I hit Canadian line)roon

steam maker
08-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Took a little mini vacation and loaded up wife and kid this week and came out to my friends dairy in oxford new york. My wife and his wife went to the county fair to watch his kids show cows . We loaded up and headed to empire farm days . The money i wish i had 😤man is there some cool toys. Tasted some great syrup from a sugarhouse up by there that had a booth at show! Nice lady very fun to talk to.oh well time for rest gotta milk cows in the morning!!

Dennis H.
08-10-2014, 05:18 PM
Must put on my to do list is to replace the hand pump on my filterpress with a gear pump!!
I had 5 gals of syrup that needed to be refiltered and I just finally got the time to do it! Anyway after 1st blowing the rubber diaphragm out and replacing it quickly before everything cooled down then having to then replace the papers for the last 1 gal of syrup I made up my mind that I will have a gear pump for the filterpress by next season.

Flat Lander Sugaring
08-14-2014, 04:33 AM
Getting flue pan back from Rutvegas Leader, want to give a great big Thank you to the guys in Rutland Leader store.

PATheron
08-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Leaves are turning color here on the soft maples. Trying to decide day to day most effective use of time. Soft maple expansion in works and about half done. Moving ring pumps inside so can turn off if freezes for a while in winter. Finetuning releasers etc. Decided going pull maintainance one bush at a time starting the the warmer bushes first. Getting taps cut off and anything can do the get ready before it gets cold. Think going to get each one hundred percent even tanks clean whatever so that there already to go once it gets cold. Hate cleaning tanks in winter. Found another 1000 sugarmaple taps but don't think Im doing them unless things really go good because really need to do some good maintainance work. Just trying to get ready. Four months and will be tapping. Theron

Sugarmaker
08-17-2014, 08:34 AM
Yikes maple season 4 months away!
We are also working on some maple related items.
Building new AOF system on top of the arch. This one will be square 2 x 2 x 1/8 wall SST. 26 nozzles around fire box area.
Also replacing some steel fastners with stainless on the stack cover.
Will paint the stack cover and all of the arch with high temp stove paint to freshen it up.
New custom built pans, SST welded, ordered and progressing from local craftsman.
(Small a mount of horn tooting here) Entered local fair (largest AG fair in PA) and was very pleased and surprised to place first in Light, Medium and Dark class' and also won Grand Champion, Best of show for our Medium syrup.
Yea it is starting to feel like fall and I need to cut a bunch of wood!
Regards,
Chris

maple flats
08-17-2014, 10:12 AM
Good for you, 1st in the 3 table grades and best of show for Med. Great job Chris.
I'm still busy in non maple related + some more firewood. I should be almost 2 yrs out on wood, about 1.75 seasons worth is split and stacked, the rest is stacked in 8' logs, up off the ground.
Had to pack 40 more gal in gal and half gal jugs. Best sales ever in July-Aug and I'm not even at any farmer's markets, just online sales.

Sugarmaker
08-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Dave,
Thanks!
Wow your sales sound real good, keep it up.
Regards,
Chris

Revi
08-26-2014, 01:04 PM
We sold all the maple syrup we had on hand this summer at our shop. We may have to buy some just to make it until March! It was not much of a maple season, and sales were better than last summer. We only have the shop open until next week, so we really don't need any more. I think we could have sold more if we had it. C'est la vie.

Sugarmaker
08-27-2014, 08:17 PM
For the first time in 14 years I am without syrup pans. Kind of a strange feeling to see the old ones go down the road, but they will be used and are in the very good hands of three young sugarmakers! Like I told them I hope they have as much fun with them as I have had.
Working on Allis Chalmers WD tractor restoration projects.
Added a super to each of our daughters two hives today.
Had a good visit with Gary R today. I think we solved all the maple problem in the world:)
Time to be gathering wood to fill the sugarhouse for next year. My plan was that it would be full much earlier than this. best laid plans!
Regards,
Chris

GeneralStark
09-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Brought home a new to me RO today. It was a slow ride home from Franklin County but it made it safe and sound. Now I need to finish getting battens on the sugarhouse and expand the heated room.

Sales have been very good this summer so this fall will be busy getting more tubing set up. Hope to be up to about 800 for 2015.

unc23win
09-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Congrats on the RO General.

I'm looking to start installing tubing this week myself its starting to rain leaves pretty good around here.