PDA

View Full Version : NH Maple Rules proposed changes

highway
08-01-2014, 07:02 AM
Agr 904.07 Containers
(a) All sap collecting and storage containers must be of materials meant for
food or potable water.

Does this statement prohibit the use of galvanized buckets in the sugar bush?

This is disconcerting at best. How would a small producer be able to afford new buckets if half thier taps were buckets?

ED

The entire proposed rule document is here http://www.agriculture.nh.gov/publications-forms/documents/proposed-maple-rules.pdf

wiam
08-01-2014, 09:17 AM
What is a sap bucket meant for?

That is how I would read the rule.

But I am not going to use my English tin ones even though they were meant for sap. lol

highway
08-04-2014, 06:32 AM
I would consider the sap bucket a collection or storage tool. That is what bothers me, it is not very specific.

I think it should be more clear. I also agree that we must use proper equipment for the job, but at what cost to the small producer? Galvy buckets are all I have. All other equipment is lead free stainless and food grade. But to purchase 250 stainless steel buckets is not an option.

Ed

maplestudent
09-11-2014, 12:45 PM
the intent of the rule appears to be to define the type of material the container is made of as being for food or potable water. problem here is that nothing in this proposed statute defines what a material for food or potable water should be, nor does anything in the current RSA 429. there is nothing that references any standard.

however if you go to the FDA website here http://www.fda.gov/food/guidanceregulation/retailfoodprotection/foodcode/ucm188064.htm and scroll down to item: 4-101.15 Galvanized Metal, Use Limitation which the only limitation listed is for acidic foods.

and the American Galvanizers Assoc. has this to say about the FDA limitations for galvanized steel: http://www.galvanizeit.org/hot-dip-galvanizing/how-long-does-hdg-last/contact-with-food

seems to me galvanized buckets would be okay

DrTimPerkins
09-11-2014, 03:19 PM
however if you go to the FDA website here .... which the only limitation listed is for acidic foods.

Maple sap is typically slightly to moderately acidic.

and the American Galvanizers Assoc. has this to say about the FDA limitations for galvanized steel:

They do not clearly say that galvanized is good for prolonged food storage. Most of their examples are cases of incidental food contact.

It seems like the best course of action would be to have the NHMSPA ask the NH Dept of Agriculture for clarification of this issue.

maplestudent
09-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Maple sap is typically slightly to moderately acidic.

I didn't realize that maple sap acidity ranged to moderate. You learn something every day on this site.

It seems like the best course of action would be to have the NHMSPA ask the NH Dept of Agriculture for clarification of this issue.

Excellent advice....and way better than mine.

Amber Gold
09-12-2014, 09:42 AM
This is one of my concerns as well. I sent an email to the ag. dept. and the NHMPA board. Hopefully we can get ahead of it before it becomes an official rule. I'm fine with eliminating the use of galv. materials in the production and storage of syrup, but I think it's OK for sap collection and short-term storage. Think about how many sap buckets that are in use in NH alone.

tuckermtn
12-19-2014, 06:41 AM
It looks like the new rules and grading standards went in to effect on Wed Dec 17th. Can someone confirm this? I plan on making the grading change right away.

Amber Gold
12-19-2014, 06:52 AM
I was wondering the same thing about the grading standards. I'm looking to order the new set soon.

maple flats
12-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Just as a point of interest, a few years ago, I had 100 taps in on old galv. buckets, out of 325 total at the time. That year I was inspected by NYS Ag and Markets. They simply looked around the sugarhouse and said things looked good, then they bought 1 qt (at retail) of syrup. As he was leaving he said I would be notified if there were any issues. I asked him to send me the results regardless so I would know exactly where I stood. About 6 mos. later I got a report. All was good, but I did show about .3 of the allowable lead. That year my buckets and most of my taps were roadside. All of my equipment except the buckets was lead free.

Tmeeeh
12-19-2014, 12:01 PM
I talked to Janis at the NH Dept of Ag Markets and Food last week. She told me I could go ahead and order new labels and jugs with grade info printed on them. She didn't say when the new grades go into effect. I assumed they start Jan 1 2015. Remember there is a one year grace period when old labels with the old grades can still be used. So the way I understand it we can start using the new system pretty much right away and we have a year from now to use up old grade labels.

Amber Gold
12-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Thanks Tim.

OldManMaple
12-20-2014, 06:52 AM
http://www.nhmapleproducers.com/new-nh-maple-grading-rules/

maple flats
12-21-2014, 08:19 AM
As I read the grading law from the above link, it looks like between now and 1/1/16 you can use either, as of 1/1/16 you must use the new grading stds. That is essentially what NY is, except, we must start packing under the new grades as of 1/1/15, but we can still sell any old grade packed prior to 1/1/15 that is on our shelves. Once we get to 1/1/16 all must be using new grading system.