PDA

View Full Version : Ro room construction

mountain man maple
07-14-2014, 02:58 PM
I am adding onto sugar house this year and part of addition is a ro room. Outside of building is batton siding. Not sure what material is best for interior walls to keep clean. What type of insulation is everyone using? I would think I should also put plastic on inside for a vapor barrier. 3 walls are exterior walls. Heat will be either baseboard or a small electric heater. Inside dimensions 6x9'6". I plan on using at least 3" of the poly with foil on it that should be about R15. Will this be enough?

NhShaun
07-14-2014, 05:31 PM
Not too sure, but you might run into moisture problems with the plastic on the inside over the foam insulation. The Foam with foil might be enough for the vapor barrier. Just my thoughts. Good luck with the addition.

PerryFamily
07-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Mine is 8x12
Heat is radiant in the concrete.
2" blue board under 6" of concrete
Board and batten siding
White foam insulation in walls and ceiling all spray foam sealed
7/16 OSB inside

Radiant it heated with a oil fired hot water heater but could be done with electric. The benefit is hot water in the sink and at raw and concentrate sap tanks for cleaning.

Thermostat set as low as possible.

Floor drain

maple flats
07-15-2014, 07:04 AM
Having been in the insulation business for 15 yrs. (before getting into the outdoor wood boiler business), you definitely want the plastic. There is no such thing as too much vapor barrier as long as it is on the heated side of the wall. The amount of insulation is optional, but just think of this- the more insulation the less heat loss. You pay for the heat each time it must come on to replace lost heat.
I have R21 (High R sheathing) in my RO room (walls and ceiling, not floor), but when I build my addition, I will put 3" under slab, and will go to R30 or more in the walls and R50 in the ceiling). All this and solar net metered heats my RO room. I will do it because any net metered credit is sent to my home meter and I want a zero electric bill at home. That was why I spent the investment in solar.

mountain man maple
07-15-2014, 09:26 AM
I have 1" polystyrene under slab. And 5" of space between exterior to interior wall to fill up. Ceiling I can put as much as is of benefit.What covering for inside wall is best to keep clean.

GeneralStark
07-15-2014, 06:27 PM
I have seen a fair bit of FRP for interior walls in food processing facilities. Not real cheap and a pain to work with, but definitely durable, long lasting and easy to clean.

Metal could be another option.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-15-2014, 09:17 PM
What is FRP?

mapleack
07-16-2014, 04:42 AM
What is FRP?
White fiberglass panels.

PerryFamily
07-16-2014, 06:02 AM
Home Depot carry's a similar product called chemlite. It what you find in most commercial kitchens and bathrooms. Was gonna be $500 to do my 8x12 room.

lpakiz
07-16-2014, 06:33 AM
I believe FRP is fiberglass reinforced plywood (or panel?) it's around $20-24 per 4X8 sheet plus all the inside and outside corner, end and splice strips. Available at the big chain stores. And special fasteners too.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-16-2014, 01:27 PM
That sounds cheap enough for me. Adding kitchen in sugarhouse this year and looking for something for long term that inspectors would be happy with. Appreciate the info. Will have to look at Lowes and see if they carry it. Only option I have without driving well over a hour to Home Depot.

GeneralStark
07-16-2014, 04:36 PM
FRP = Fiberglass Reinforced Panel. It is not plywood and is only about 1/16" thick and quite flexible. It comes in a few different styles and textures.

Having worked with fiberglass for years, be sure to wear a dust mask and cover your skin while cutting and working with it. Table saw or skil saw works well.

Machinist67
07-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Lowes does carry it, but you may need to order it in.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_8566-293-FTSTF.1_0__?productId=3162499&Ntt=

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
07-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Thanks and they are $ 10 more than home depot unfortunately.

MISugarDaddy
07-17-2014, 05:18 AM
If there is a Menard's store in your area they care it in stock all the time. We covered all the walls and ceiling of our sugarhouse with it to be able to clean it with water whenever we want. Use a carbide blade to cut it because it is hard on non-carbide blades.