PDA

View Full Version : We're #2!

Homespun
06-27-2014, 03:38 PM
New York edged out Maine for the #2 syrup producer spot this past season, but by only 1,000 gallons....
http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S3487716.shtml?cat=12415

Moser's Maple
06-27-2014, 07:15 PM
wouldn't be bragging too much cause maine also has something like 100,000 less taps.............. that doesn't say much for us NYers

FDA
06-27-2014, 09:10 PM
I took a # 2 once while diving thru NY on my way to Maine.

K.I. Joe
06-27-2014, 11:22 PM
We will get you next year LOL

maple flats
06-28-2014, 05:25 AM
Yes, but Vermont's total was more than Maine and NY combined. We New Yorkers need to grow a lot. As far as the maple resource is concerned, NY could far exceed Vermont if we tapped the % of our maples that Vermont does.

06-28-2014, 06:55 AM
Also a lot of big operations on the border bring sap from maine into Canada if that stayed here in maine we defiantly would have beat you. :)

maple flats
06-28-2014, 12:12 PM
I often wonder what the real numbers are, but we will likely never know. Many of us report accurately, but there are some out there that just don't understand the industry benefits to reporting the correct numbers. They are afraid it will cost them in the end.
The US Ag Census I'm sure plugs in a fudge factor the sort of account for those who refuse to report, but how could they really know the exact scope of them.
Please, for next year, let's get everyone's production counted, in all states and provinces. Doing so will mean the maple industry will benefit in research $, and grant $, thus helping all.

jmayerl
06-28-2014, 12:45 PM
I agree with flats........but the problem is no one has ever asked me to report any numbers to them. I'm sure there are a few hundred people just like me in wisconsin also.

BreezyHill
06-28-2014, 01:15 PM
You would not want all the taps counted. This would upset the apple cart. For all those that are not counted and then suddenly are you will see a large increase in the count and this will affect the production numbers.

For 10 years I was a reporter of pricing of sales for ag and markets for hay. It is a really awkward position to be in; knowing that your sales affects people in several states. When a customer is taking 36 semi loads a year he gets a different price than the guy that gets two, but this is not reflected in the price on reports.

So an additional 25,000 taps on gravity counted and 10,000 on high vac that is missed who has more impact on production and retail sales?

In the corn market operations purposely down size the planted acres to drive up the price, and then sell futures to lock in a good price. That is why the harvested and planted numbers never work out with the production yields. The guy producing 400 bushel to the acre counts the same as the guy only getting 100 bu/ac.

Tap counts are only a barometer of conditions for prospective production. While it may be a proud moment to be part of the top 5 production states for some it is more important to sell our gourmet products for the best price we can and to please the customers so they will buy again.

Congratulations to all producers for maintaining a way of life, feeding the world, and educating the masses....Keep up the good work!!!

Ben

Scribner's Mountain Maple
06-28-2014, 04:50 PM
I wonder also how they count taps, and who they are asking? I am in Central Vermont with almost 2300 taps and nobody asked me how many taps I had, or how much production I had? Just wondering if they are only counting producers above 10,000 or something? And I am in the Vermont Maple producers association, so they aren't asking, or maybe they did when I filled out a form? If so, that was years ago? I have no idea how they get the numbers? Dr. Tim?

Ben

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-28-2014, 05:01 PM
If majority of WV producers reported their taps they would easily be in top 10. Most don't want the government knowing anything about them so prob 90% don't report. Considering the current president and administration has about ruined this state it is not hard to understand why unfortunately. I am not trying to turn this into a political post and don't want it to go that way.

BreezyHill
06-29-2014, 06:50 AM
Here is the link to the NY section of NASS on the left side of the page tab on the pull down menu and pic your state.

http://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/New_York/Publications/County_Estimates/index.asp

From there you can find the reports you will need to file or to sign up for a census form. Once you start you are required to file by law unless you stop farming.

If you don't file on time they will call you for the numbers.

Good records are a bug time saver in filling out the reports.

Ben

sjdoyon
06-29-2014, 07:00 PM
When I signed up with the Vermont Maple Sugar Makers' Association, they did ask how many taps on the application.

I wonder also how they count taps, and who they are asking? I am in Central Vermont with almost 2300 taps and nobody asked me how many taps I had, or how much production I had? Just wondering if they are only counting producers above 10,000 or something? And I am in the Vermont Maple producers association, so they aren't asking, or maybe they did when I filled out a form? If so, that was years ago? I have no idea how they get the numbers? Dr. Tim?

Ben

motowbrowne
06-29-2014, 08:37 PM
...Considering the current president and administration has about ruined this state it is not hard to understand why unfortunately. I am not trying to turn this into a political post and don't want it to go that way.

Oh, i'm SO sorry that the current administration has "ruined" your state.:lol:

Good luck getting it turned around. If you don't want to make a political statement. Avoid off-the-cuff nonsensical statements like that one.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Oh, i'm SO sorry that the current administration has "ruined" your state.:lol:

Good luck getting it turned around. If you don't want to make a political statement. Avoid off-the-cuff nonsensical statements like that one.

Appears you are the one that is making nonsensical statement. Not off the cuff. Majority of the economy of this state is coal and a lot have lost their jobs. Many tens of thousands are employed in the coal industry which the current administration has swore to eliminate and many have already lost their jobs which affects them and most others in the state. Trickle down effect. Thus why producers down here won't report anything. I am involved in trying to start a state maple association and many fight it because they don't want the federal government finding out anything about them. Parts of Kentucky has taken it on the chin too really badly.

maple flats
06-30-2014, 07:08 AM
When I signed up with the Vermont Maple Sugar Makers' Association, they did ask how many taps on the application.
They are counting all size operations who submit a census report. Sign up to be included at NASS (National Agricultural Statistical Service). By the way, anyone wondering, your data can not be matched to your tax return, by law, in case you are worried or try to operate "under the radar".

TrentonMaple
07-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Sometimes I tell people I'm from New York and I make maple syrup - they look at me like I'm crazy. As if I were tapping maples in Central Park and boiling in my shoe box apartment in Manhattan.

brass maple
02-18-2015, 06:07 PM
I hear that. Anything above Albany could fall off the face of the earth and nobody would know a thing. By the way where in central park do they keep the cows