PDA

View Full Version : de laval with 2 hp electrical moor

petit erabliere
06-19-2014, 10:59 PM
i want buy a de laval Alamo vacuum pump with a 2 hp electrical motor the price is 250.00 a good or not a good deal ? and do you know with a 2 hp what kind of vacuum pump is it ( 40 - 76 or other kind i want use this pump for 1500 taps

jimsudz
06-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Alamo is a surge pump not delaval, I have a 1.65hp motor on my surge Alamo 30 . So you may have a 40 or bigger if it is a Alamo

maple flats
06-20-2014, 11:39 AM
Yes, Delaval and Surge are two different unrelated companies, which is it? Can you post a picture or send me a pic email to dklish@earthlink.net , I may be able to help.

petit erabliere
06-20-2014, 03:02 PM
it s a Alamo 40 i have the pump since this morning -----how many taps with this pump

BreezyHill
06-20-2014, 03:06 PM
The size of the motor really means nothing unless it is factory since many pumps now days have a non factory motor installed. The width of the body is important in a delaval and its oil line position, in a surge is the size of the piston or the width of the rotary body. The 8" wide surge rotary will do the job you are looking to do as long as the vanes and body are good. A 40 in the Alamo would be a small body rotary surge. The 76 is a large body delaval unit that has no oil reservoir attached to the bottom side of the pump; only a stand to attach the pump to a motor plate.

If it says Babson brothers it is still a surge and usually a piston style unit, McCormick, Hinman also made pumps as did a handful of other manufactors. The $200 dollar figure for a working electric 2Hp motor is a good buy and a working pump on top of that is a great buy.

That does not mean it will do 1500 taps now or even after a rebuild. Post a pic or if having troubles posting pm and I will give you my cell. I rebuild pumps and can walk you thru a successful rebuild procedure.

Ben

petit erabliere
06-20-2014, 03:12 PM
with this pump i have a another pump 40 + with 2 hp except i have no vane in the body of the pump do you now if the vane and bearing is expensive

BreezyHill
06-21-2014, 08:47 AM
not cheap but if you hone out the body and do a full rebuild kit you will have a like new pump for about $250 of parts. The 40is rated at 20 cfm at 15" so depending on how high of a vacuum you are looking for as to how many taps. On a tight system I use 100 taps per cfm...on a leaky system use 50 taps.

I am going to guess that this pump honed and rebuilt at 25" will do around 700 with the right rpms on the pump. I have a tester that will adjust to find the peak cfm at a requested vacuum level, but have never tested a 40 or even a thirtysince owning this tester unit. On a vfd you can get a little more as the vfd will spin the unit faster than 100% motor speed to over come low vacuum at startup if the vfd is setup that way.

I would point you toward a delaval 75, 76, 78, or an Alamo 50-100 unit for 1500 taps. I have both a 75 and a 50-100 Alamo that I will be using on our bush next season. We will be around 1500 taps and booth will work just fine. The Alamo large body pump is adjust in pulley size to meet the desired cfms needed. Just change pulleys and larger motor.

The 40 should have two oil drippers and not sealed bearings...thus it is better suited for the work of maple vacuum. A Thirty can be modified to run cooler and last longer.

petit erabliere
06-21-2014, 09:28 AM
if i want the diagram for 40 + where can i get it

BreezyHill
06-21-2014, 09:48 AM
That is a tough one. I have recently been provided with a manual for the surge pumps and will have to look thru it to see what is offered for the 40. There was a pdf on line but the last time I tried to access, it was a broken link. Send me a pm and I will scan the pages you need.

You do realize that you can run more than one pump on a system and the vfms are added together. This is called piggy backing or paralleling pumps. If you have two pumps that are able to do 8 cfm each together they will do 16 cfm. When pluming the use of check valves and isolation valves is necessary to keep the system operational at all times.