PDA

View Full Version : UL compliance

Urban Sugarmaker
06-19-2014, 06:46 PM
I am trying to get a permit to put my evaporator in the garage. The city allows wood stoves in the garage if they are UL 737 compliant. I researched this and it actually looks like UL 1482 applies to strictly wood-fueled stoves. Does anyone have any insight on this since I plan on buying a Mason hobby evaporator? Something tells me small custom arch builders don't go through any type of UL certification for their products. Alternatively, I just boil outdoors.

Thanks

jmayerl
06-19-2014, 08:06 PM
No evaporator would ever be underwriters laboratory approve there they are not tested . I would think a evaporator in a garage without steam hood would be a horrible idea but heck, we all do dumb stuff once and awhile. I converted my unattached garage into a sugar shack years ago .

maple flats
06-19-2014, 08:18 PM
I'd also suspect no such UL testing or certification is done on arches. Contact Bill Mason to verify.
Is the garage attached to the home? If yes, or if even close you may not want it in there anyways. You are wiser to get a variance if needed and build a sugar house farther from the home.
Most Codes officers and permit offices (outside of more maple production areas) know nothing about evaporators. You may need to get all the facts, do some research into the codes and then educate both the permit office and the codes officer. The UL numbers you mention may in fact have no bearing on a maple evaporator. Are you in a residential area, or an agricultural district. If you can be declared a farm, (unless you are in a residential area) you may need no permit at all. That being said, make sure your insurance agent is well aware or you may have no coverage in case of a fire.
If you can legally declare this a farm, more options are opened, if it will strictly be a small hobby, no such options are open.

n8hutch
06-19-2014, 08:30 PM
If you find an insurance company to cover you boiling in a garage let us know. My agent checked all 27 companies she underwrited and the all basically said to get lost.

Urban Sugarmaker
06-19-2014, 08:34 PM
All very good points. I think the thing to do is educate the permit office, but honestly I'm starting to think that boiling outside is the way to go for getting started. I cannot justify spending tons of money and time on compliance issues. Wood stoves are allowed in garages here with UL compliance as I said earlier. I can only hope they might entertain an evaporator if they learned more about it.

Thanks for the replies.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
06-20-2014, 07:43 AM
Buy a used stove that is compliant and when syrup season comes put evaporator in its place.

wiam
06-20-2014, 07:45 AM
Buy a used stove that is compliant and when syrup season comes put evaporator in its place.

If there is a fire what will the adjuster say .............

Cabin
06-20-2014, 07:48 AM
I am trying to get a permit to put my evaporator in the garage. The city allows wood stoves in the garage if they are UL 737 compliant. I researched this and it actually looks like UL 1482 applies to strictly wood-fueled stoves. Does anyone have any insight on this since I plan on buying a Mason hobby evaporator? Something tells me small custom arch builders don't go through any type of UL certification for their products. Alternatively, I just boil outdoors.

Thanks

Most wood stoves used for cooking are exempt, you may want to recheck with the codes officer stressing that you are installing a cooking stove NOT a heating stove. You should also check with your insurance agent as well.

maple flats
06-20-2014, 11:28 AM
If there is a fire what will the adjuster say .............
The adjuster will say, who do I make the check out to? Your total to be paid is $0.00. Sorry!

maple flats
06-20-2014, 11:34 AM
My sugarhouse is fully covered, but it is a stand alone building, over 300' from the nearest neighbor, and about 90' from the nearest farm storage building. My insurance is thru Farm Family, however I doubt even they would insure an evaporator in a garage if attached to or close to a residence or neighbor's structure.

jmayerl
06-20-2014, 04:21 PM
Most wood stoves used for cooking are exempt, you may want to recheck with the codes officer stressing that you are installing a cooking stove NOT a heating stove. You should also check with your insurance agent as well.
Calling a evaporator a cooking stove is about the biggest lie I have ever heard

Urban Sugarmaker
06-20-2014, 07:45 PM

Good idea. I thought of this also. However, the city permit person has encouraged me to bring technical specs or instructions to the office so they can learn about this. He mentioned it twice. Thats the next step. Regarding insurance, I haven't researched it yet. Have to talk to my rep. If all else fails, I will boil outside like many other people have done in the past. It wouldn't be a big disappointment.

What have people's experience been with flying embers out of their stacks on hobby size equipment?

maplerookie
06-20-2014, 07:59 PM
I built a 3 sided hut with a roof for the season then took it down. on those real cold days i put as plastic tarp on the front....got a bit steamy sometimes but i was out of the wind and the weather. 2 x 3's some plywood and tarps. all screwed together and worked like a charm. all wood has been repurposed for other projects around the house.

Flat Lander Sugaring
06-21-2014, 07:12 AM
Nothing is Illegal until you get caught,

better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

maplerookie
06-21-2014, 01:24 PM

better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission. Well I wouldn't evaporate in an attached garage. no way no how unless your insurance carrier gives you the go ahead. first you have the steam issue. worse is the chance of a real rip roaring fire takin the garage, house and all your possessions. you got to ask yourself: Is it worth the risk trying to get away wit h it. A sensible guy would think a second and say NO! I sure hope you are one of the sensible ones.

Mark
06-22-2014, 07:31 AM
Well I wouldn't evaporate in an attached garage. no way no how unless your insurance carrier gives you the go ahead. first you have the steam issue. worse is the chance of a real rip roaring fire takin the garage, house and all your possessions. you got to ask yourself: Is it worth the risk trying to get away wit h it. A sensible guy would think a second and say NO! I sure hope you are one of the sensible ones. My insurance guy would probably want a house to burn down instead of my sugarhouse.

maple flats
06-22-2014, 07:36 AM

better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.
If you have a fire, that is not a good idea. Your insurance could be cancelled and you get nothing if you boil in the garage without your ins. co's prior knowledge. Not worth the risk.

Cabin
06-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Calling a evaporator a cooking stove is about the biggest lie I have ever heard
No. It is the truth. UL listings are only for HEATING stoves. An evaporator is used to make food. It is not a designed for heating, it is designed for cooking down sap.

Urban Sugarmaker
06-22-2014, 08:34 PM
No. It is the truth. UL listings are only for HEATING stoves. An evaporator is used to make food. It is not a designed for heating, it is designed for cooking down sap.

Are you in Monroe county NY? I am in Monroe county NY. Anyway, you have a good point. The permit office said that even though there is no UL listing for any evaporator, they would like to see some technical data/specs and/or instruction manuals. In other words they told me they would still consider granting a permit. They just don't know anything about it. I have the PDF of the Leader Half Pint I can show them, but unfortunately it is all instructions and nothing technical. I will find out later this week if it is adequate.

Cabin
06-23-2014, 07:04 AM
Are you in Monroe county NY? I am in Monroe county NY. Anyway, you have a good point. The permit office said that even though there is no UL listing for any evaporator, they would like to see some technical data/specs and/or instruction manuals. In other words they told me they would still consider granting a permit. They just don't know anything about it. I have the PDF of the Leader Half Pint I can show them, but unfortunately it is all instructions and nothing technical. I will find out later this week if it is adequate.

Monroe county PA. Even with a half pint I would worry about the steam unless you are installing a real good roof vent.

Urban Sugarmaker
10-04-2014, 11:07 AM
I will be installing a hatch to vent steam because I don't want condensate dripping from the dirty old framing in to my pan. Next year I will build a cupola when I have more time, so the hatch will have to do for now. Also, the city is issuing a permit specifically to allow a wood-burning maple evaporator in my garage for a nominal fee. It turns out they were more concerned with the stack being UL listed class A pipe, and that is what I have. I picked up 24' of it used in great condition.