PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and suggestions

Witchcat_Maple
06-15-2014, 05:53 PM
Greetings all,

After reading and doing research I have decided to start sugaring. We did it a long time ago on the farm. That's long gone, I'm nearing retirement from the Navy. This is my first post, I'm looking for the best advice and options for start up operations.

I plan on placing concrete next month (July). My thoughts are 20x30. I am going to start the first year at 1500 taps and no RO. I can tap between 8-10k with around 7500 being sugar maples. I need to build for now and expand each year to the entire forest.

With than being said I will likely be purchasing a rig up to 5x16. I am thinking 20x30 will suit my needs for the first 4 years in order to recoup the initial build and set up. I have a budget with hopes of recouping 60% of the costs during the first year.

I am thinking 10' walls which I can build on the slab and then have a good old fashion barn raising! Is it better to go 24x36 which will increase the cost of trusses significantly or add on 10' in two years for the RO room?

What would you guys do with this? Future plans for bathroom would come later as it's very easy to plumb in and cut the concrete (I do construction, no real problem for me).

Thanks for input.

PerryFamily
06-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Although difficult, plan ahead as far as possible.
Plan bigger than you think you need.
Do it right the first time!

steam maker
06-15-2014, 07:44 PM
If i did it again i would put a row or two of blocks arond the outside so when i washed floor the base of walls wouldnt get wet, also id figure where my evaporater was gonna go and put trench drains down each side like inthadds sugarhouse . They seem real handy . Mine is 20 by 30 with 8 foot addition down side and back wich started as open leantos and have end up closed in for canning room and barrel storage . This year if money is there the back leanto is coming of and contiuing main roof out that 8 ft plus another 12 ft to make a ro room big enough to work in and have concentrate tank undercover!! In other words big enough is never big enough!!!!visit as many places as u can and take lotsa notes. Do it rite the first time

Sunday Rock Maple
06-16-2014, 04:50 PM
One option is to tap 8,000 and sell sap, then build the shanty and boil after a couple years.