PDA

View Full Version : Could Maple Syrup be a Better Choice in Controlling Blood Sugar?

argohauler
06-15-2014, 06:11 AM
http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/1324125/could-maple-syrup-be-a-better-choice-in-controlling-blood-sugar?relation=org

heus
06-15-2014, 09:23 AM
Thanks for posting this Argo. I have type 2 diabetes and regularly consume my maple syrup. It has not negatively affected my a1c levels. Same goes for my honey that my bees produce.

DaveB
06-15-2014, 03:58 PM
I object that it's maple syrup from Canada that has a lower impact than cane sugar. I'd like to see evidence that all maple syrup doesn't have that property other wise it becomes one of those marketing ploys that Canadian syrup is better than American syrup.

That being said, I've read this kind of research before and read that maple sugar has a lower glycemic impact than cane sugar. Here's one site that breaks down different sweeteners:

http://www.sugar-and-sweetener-guide.com/glycemic-index-for-sweeteners.html

sapman
06-16-2014, 08:05 AM
If I recall correctly, the Federation funded the research Dr. Seeram did, hence the credit going to Canada syrup. I could be mistaken and that it was the Institute, though.

sapman
06-16-2014, 08:09 AM
This is very exciting news. I've been doing many markets lately, and it seems like every day someone tells me how much they love syrup but have high blood sugar. Now we have science to share with them, or can at least encourage them to research for themselves.

happy thoughts
06-16-2014, 11:13 AM
This is very exciting news. I've been doing many markets lately, and it seems like every day someone tells me how much they love syrup but have high blood sugar. Now we have science to share with them, or can at least encourage them to research for themselves.

Why I would not use this as a marketing gimmick:

1. Maple syrup is still sugar and as such it's consumption is not the best food choice for diabetics. A better sugar choice perhaps but will still need close accounting for in a diabetic diet. If you read the linked article even the QC sponsor of the studies adds it's own disclaimer to that end.

2. The studies were funded in part by the QC maple federation thus were not carried out independently.

3. The science so far is thin and has not undergone any human trials yet.

DaveB
06-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Why I would not use this as a marketing gimmick:

1. Maple syrup is still sugar and as such it's consumption is not the best food choice for diabetics. A better sugar choice perhaps but will still need close accounting for in a diabetic diet. If you read the linked article even the QC sponsor of the studies adds it's own disclaimer to that end.

2. The studies were funded in part by the QC maple federation thus were not carried out independently.

3. The science so far is thin and has not undergone any human trials yet.

I agree specifically when it comes this study. However, the glycemic impact of sugars is well known and has been reported in many different studies and I don't think there is a reason you can't say that maple sugar has a lower glycemic impact than cane sugar. Everyone should avoid any kind of health claims - leave that up to the cleanse diet folks and then they can come to us and buy syrup!

happy thoughts
06-16-2014, 07:59 PM
I agree specifically when it comes this study. However, the glycemic impact of sugars is well known and has been reported in many different studies and I don't think there is a reason you can't say that maple sugar has a lower glycemic impact than cane sugar. Everyone should avoid any kind of health claims - leave that up to the cleanse diet folks and then they can come to us and buy syrup!

There is just something about recommending any sugar as a "healthier" alternative sweetener in a diabetic diet that doesn't sit well with me. I would love to read the studies if I could find them. That said, the subject is much more complex than can be represented by a simple number. The glycemic impact of any sugar varies with other foods eaten with them. For instance, blood sugar spikes are slowed when they are eaten with high fiber foods. Fats can also slow their impact.