PDA

View Full Version : Electric evaporator

batsofbedlam
06-10-2014, 08:16 AM
The article in The Maple News about the D&G electric evaporator makes it look like something everyone is going to want. No longer does one need a sugarhouse, but a single bay garage will do. I wonder if it will succeed?

jrgagne99
06-10-2014, 11:29 AM
I saw that and was surprised the forums aren't all abuzz about it. Has anyone found detailed information on it, or talked with the D&G people in depth about how it works, costs, power requirements (3-phase, 480V, etc.)? I want to learn more, but haven't done a lot of digging.

GeneralStark
06-10-2014, 11:36 AM
I suspect they will be more popular in Quebec where electricity is cheaper, but I can't imagine they will become popular here in the us. It seems like an ro is a better use of the electricity.

That said, it would be interesting to get the specs and see what it can do. They had one going at their open house this year in Georgia and I think a couple folks on here saw it.

PerryW
06-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Straight evaporation using electricity would be ungodly expensive to run.

jrgagne99
06-10-2014, 01:13 PM
What makes electriciy so attractive is the potential for practically no waste heat to escape through a chimney. This yeilds near 100% efficiency for the first stage. I suspect that the best oil evaporators are lucky to get even 25% net efficiency between the flame and the main pan, considering all the heat that is lost through a chimney. Whereas traditional wood and oil-fired evaporators use a Steam-Away to capture the latent heat in the steam from the flue pan only, it appears as though the EcoVap has a built-in series of heat exchangers and condensers to extract latent heat from both the flue and syrup pans.

There is a post on this forum from a while back in which a member (i don't remember who) has dabbled with a home-made electric evaporator and had very good results from a cost perspective.

jrgagne99
06-10-2014, 01:19 PM
It seems like an ro is a better use of the electricity.

If it is more cost-effective in Quebec to use the EcoVap (where electricity is cheap, and oil is roughly the same price) than surely it would be even more cost-effective in the USA.

Ski Bum
06-10-2014, 04:49 PM
I have read the article in The Maple News on the electric evaporator. What ??? No steam----No wood---- Nothing to watch boiling----No explaining to school kids where maple syrup comes from?? No way to show visitors the process?? Progress is good but at what cost? It works for some, but I'll cut and burn wood and fill the sugarhouse with steam, answer school kids questions and keep the tradition alive. Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion!

TheMapleMoose
06-10-2014, 05:18 PM
I haven't read the article yet, but my father paraphrased it for me today. Sounds like very interesting technology. New technology is definitely driven by commercial production, which I would assume is the target consumer for D&G on this project. You never know though....maybe I'll be boiling on an electric 3x8 before the decade is over....I'm not holding my breath though.

Dave Y
06-10-2014, 06:52 PM
I saw the Eco-Vap in action at the open house. It is quite and clean and way more expensive than any of would ever pay. They where making syrup on it and handing out samples. the syrup taste like crap. I was not interested enuf to ask questions. I'll stick with fire wood.

Mark
06-10-2014, 11:01 PM
I saw the Eco-Vap in action at the open house. It is quite and clean and way more expensive than any of would ever pay. They where making syrup on it and handing out samples. the syrup taste like crap. I was not interested enuf to ask questions. I'll stick with fire wood.

I was told it draws about 200 amps and uses vapor compression. Here is an old paper on the subject.

http://www.fs.fed.us/ne/newtown_square/publications/research_papers/pdfs/scanned/ne_rp385p.pdf

I would expect the flavor would be the same as boiling with steam which I hear can be different. I would like to try some syrup made on a steam pan.

Amber Gold
06-11-2014, 09:24 AM
I've heard they're crazy expensive and get very little evaporation gph per square foot of evaporator. I think they're brochure was say a 4x12 eco-vap does like 50gph....those aren't the right numbers, but it was something on that scale for size evap. and water boiled off.

spud
01-26-2015, 09:06 AM
Is anyone hearing anything about the new Eco-Vap Electric Evaporator? I have yet to hear any real details or price on this. Just wondering.

Spud

Bucket Head
01-26-2015, 09:21 AM
I don't know much about them, but I agree with Skibum. I'll keep burning wood for tradition. Yes, a little more work but I'll do it. And as far as sugarhouse mishaps go, I'd rather deal with a burned finger, hand or forearm instead of an electrocution! Lol.

Seriously, the technology is interesting and if someone can make that work financially, more power to them. It would free up a lot of time and do away with handling any fuel.

Steve

bowtie
01-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Make mine a wood fired !! Sometimes technology can ruin a good thing. No flame or wood smoke not for me.
I know I will raise a few hackles but I think there is going to be backlash against the technological advances eventually.

spud
01-26-2015, 07:00 PM
I think the day will come real soon when one machine will take in raw 2% sap and then turn it to filtered syrup. I also predict it will run without anyone to watch it. When this happens i might stop selling sap. :)

Spud

unc23win
01-26-2015, 07:27 PM
I think the day will come real soon when one machine will take in raw 2% sap and then turn it to filtered syrup. I also predict it will run without anyone to watch it. When this happens i might stop selling sap. :)Spud

Wouldn't that be something I suppose the whole thing could run off a float switch.

Clinkis
01-26-2015, 08:19 PM
haven't seen much about this but if it's truely more cost effective then other fuel sources then it would definitely be worth looking into. As far as tradition.....I'm sure the old timers would cring to see all their buckets replaced with miles of pipeline and vacume pumps. As a kid this was my favourite thing running from tree to tree to check the sap buckets. But efficiency usually wins over tradition if there's money involved. The tradition will be kept alive by the small guys and hobbiests who do it for fun and a labour of love.

Sunday Rock Maple
01-26-2015, 09:34 PM
I heard from a dealer that they start at $50K but cost only about $0.25 per gallon to run and are currently sold out. Time will tell......