PDA

View Full Version : Box Elders

Aaron Roy
06-09-2014, 11:47 AM
Do or have any of you guys tapped any Box Elders? It's not a sugar maple for sure but it's in that same family and I believe that I have a few of them on my property and I am thinking about tapping them next spring.

Aaron Roy
06-09-2014, 11:52 AM
One thing that I read is that the flavor is different and can be almost fruity at times so it looks like I will need to boil on it's own.

Super Sapper
06-09-2014, 12:15 PM
I mix a few boxelders with my maples. Each type of Maple and even different locations will have slight differences in flavor. The boxelder is very good on its own and won't hurt if added to other maples.

maple flats
06-09-2014, 01:51 PM
In the early years when we were only making syrup for our own use, we tapped more box elders than sugar maples. The sap was combined and the syrup was good. Box elder IS a maple, and as such can be blended together, I wouldn't try to boil separately.

Sunday Rock Maple
06-09-2014, 09:10 PM
I would tap them. Also I'm wondering how box elders would do in a Proctor style orchard. They grow so fast and sucker strong after being cut.

Aaron Roy
06-10-2014, 08:59 PM
False alarm, I believe they are ash trees. Not sure what type. I don't believe that the box elders range comes this far north.

Revi
06-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Box Elders aren't native, but there are lots around here. They usually grow in towns and have a tendency to lean over a lot. I think they are fine for tapping, and in parts of Canada they are the only maples around. I would say to tap them and add it to the mix. It may make a really nice syrup. Another great maple for tapping is the Norway. They make lots of sap and are everywhere. Why not tap them? I've made syrup from them and it's really tasty.

Aaron Roy
06-18-2014, 12:15 PM
I wish that I had some they would be flagged. I'm still obsessed. I only have about an acre sized sugarbush. I'm marking all my maples tappable and ones that will be soon. The tappable ones get an extra color flag. I found all my trees in the winter last year and they were all maples. I figured that some might not be. I have found 5 more or so that need to be tapped this spring. I'm planning on running some lines too this year to help with the collection process. I have also started bugging my neighbors to see if they don mind if I check out their maples. Is there a hotline? I think need to call someone for help

maplerookie
06-18-2014, 05:08 PM
tap em all at the beginning of the season then later in the season watch for earlier buds on the ones that are not sugar maples. dont want buddy syrup

3GoatHill
06-18-2014, 09:27 PM
Box Elders aren't native, but there are lots around here. Another great maple for tapping is the Norway. They make lots of sap and are everywhere. Why not tap them? I've made syrup from them and it's really tasty.

Norways aren't native either, but they're all I got, so I tap em. I was getting a little over 2 14% and it makes a really good syrup. When walking in the woods, every now and then I take a step back because those dang box elders look like poison ivy for a second. I'm gonna try tapping them next time. Hope it doesn't make itchy syrup:D

Aaron Roy
07-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Since there are leaves now it's easier for me to tell, I believe all my trees are silvers. Still works well to make the Sticky Icky