PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the Road

Saltlick
01-11-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm sure alot of you have this problem, and I would like some suggestions how to solve it. Every year after sugaring, thru the mud with my tractor and trailer full of sap. I have developed several deep ruts in my meadow and lawn. To date my only solution has been to roll the ruts in the early spring, with a homemade heavy roller. Thats really the only equipment I have to do the job, which still leaves a real rough surface to mow. Should I be looking at a box blade or drag of some type? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
THE ROUGH RIDER

Fred Henderson
01-11-2007, 04:37 PM
If your tractor is big enough try dragging an evergreen tree that has all its branches on it. If you boil with wood you can always burn it later. A big Hemlock about 12" in dia will do it.

Pete33Vt
01-14-2007, 06:31 AM
I would try to find a york rake that you could borrow for a day or so. Then drag a smoothing harrow over it. you could make up a smoothing harrow with an old bed spring, and some wood blocks for weight.

Good luck
Pete

maplwrks
01-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Don't drive on the lawn!! LOL!

Fred Henderson
01-14-2007, 04:26 PM
I tell you guys if you have never used an evergreen tree you don't know what you are missing. It is about 3 tools in one. I have used one on more than one occasion. An evergreen works the best but any tree with all the branchs left on it is good also.

Parker
01-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Last year we built a truck road over a swamp 1/2 mile into the woods with my cable skidder and a very larged topped yellow birch,,,by the end of the job you could have driven a cadilac over it,,we trucked 350000' of hardwood and 250 cords od pulp/firewood over it,,,went and looked at it this summer,,,could not have driven an ATV over it, in agust,,

Fred Henderson
01-14-2007, 05:41 PM
Once you get it flat and it freezes solid there is no better road to be had. What did you do with that Birch tree after you got the road smooth.

Parker
01-15-2007, 05:18 AM
I left it off to the side of the landing,,instead of plowing the road I would hook onto that and drag the road,,at the end of the job it got worked up,,think it wound up in my firewood pile.

Fred Henderson
01-15-2007, 05:57 AM
I rest my case.