PDA

View Full Version : A few questions on some older syrup equipment

n8hutch
05-26-2014, 08:12 PM
97549755I was digging around my grandparents old barn & found this old milk pail and this candy thermometer. I was thinking that I might use the old milk pail as another dram off pail but I am concerned it may contain lead, it looks pressed together to me but I don't know for sure. The therm. Looks pretty old say's leader company on it st-albans vt , any idea how old it might be? Probably keep it for a sugar house decoration.

wiam
05-26-2014, 09:00 PM
That is a fairly modern stainless pail. Good find. I would not use the thermometer. Would make a good wall ornament.

jmayerl
05-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Nice draw off pail, they work great and go for about $80 on eBay

maple flats
05-27-2014, 06:39 PM
If the pail is soldered, get some test strips from a hardware store to test for lead. If the solder contains lead, just don't polish it to a shine, leave the dull finish on it. That pail is a real prise, congratulations.

brookledge
05-27-2014, 09:09 PM
I have a pail just like that. The bottom ring has solder but the pail itself is completely stainless and the outside ring is only there because the bottom is concave. I welded a fitting on the bottom so now I pump the syrup to my finishing pan.the nice thing about it is the narrow top.keeps it from splashing.
As for the thermometer those are very good and are still being used by many
Keith

Sunday Rock Maple
05-27-2014, 10:17 PM
Looks like a DeLaval pail. If you happen to find one of the old flat top milk coolers, ours is 500 gallons that we use for sap, the six inch diameter covers for the sight holes will fit your pail like a glove. We use ours to draw off sweet when we switch sides or at the end of the day.

maple maniac65
05-28-2014, 05:50 AM
those old thermometers still bring $75.00-100.00.

lpakiz
05-28-2014, 07:36 AM
I have several Delavel pails. I think all of them have a smooth, seamless inner tank. Just look down inside it, you can easily see if there is a seam in there. And they all have a wear ring soldered onto the outside bottom, to keep the bottom from wearing out on the cement barn floor.

n8hutch
05-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Yes, after closer inspection the bottom is seamless, I am definitely going to use it. As for the thermometer I think I may soak it in a vinegar solution & hang it on the wall, thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Russell Lampron
05-31-2014, 07:01 PM
Yes, after closer inspection the bottom is seamless, I am definitely going to use it. As for the thermometer I think I may soak it in a vinegar solution & hang it on the wall, thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Nice find on both pieces. Don't do anything to the thermometer as far as cleaning or restoration is concerned. It is worth more to collectors in it's uncleaned unrestored condition.

BreezyHill
06-01-2014, 08:08 AM
The pail is not as old as you may think. It is a milking pail and not a moisture trap pail as it has the dump handle. The handle connectors are the ones from the 60's to 70's. It is a great pail and will last another several generations if cared for. The same pail

The earlier handle was a rounded shape to hold on the cover when walking to the can room to dump the fresh milk into the strainer. Occasionally you will find the round handle without the dumping handle as they are older yet and often do not have the protective ring on the bottom.

Prior to that was the brass pail.

The functioning decoration is the most impressive. Get a pic of the grandparents and when they operated the farm and a pic of the can to show the history of the operation.

Great find!!!

Ben

n8hutch
06-01-2014, 01:31 PM
I did decide to leave thethermometer as I found it. As tempting as it was to see how well it would clean up.