PDA

View Full Version : hemlock rough cut

Bentley Wood Maple
05-23-2014, 06:14 AM
Justt bought a lot of rough sawn hemlock. Been sticked stacked and stored outdoors uncovered. Doesn't look pretty but depending on salvage % will be a great deal. How will the remainder work mixed w/ hardwood work firing the arch?
have better idea after today but think theres at least 20 p/u loads to bring home and sort.
:cool:

madmapler
05-23-2014, 06:23 AM
Hemlock has the highest BTU rating of all the softwoods. I mix it 50/50 with hardwood as do a lot of guys.

GV2
05-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Becuase I have a lot of hemlock, I have been mixing hemlock with deciduous wood (trees that tend to loose their leaves) for over 30 years. According to the charts it's btu is about like cherry. ( seasoned cherry=2928 btu seasoned hemlock=2700). I recommend at least a full year of seasoning. I split it up one extra chop more than my deciduous. lots of pops!

GeneralStark
05-23-2014, 09:52 AM
Are you talking about rough sawn lumber? ie 2x4s. 2x6s etc... Hemlock will burn well if dry but if it is sawn for building material it is much more valuable for that than just cutting it up for firewood.

Maybe you are talking about slabs?

Ausable
05-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Bentley - I burn whatever I have piled for Sugar shack wood - which includes Hemlock. As I burn wood to heat the house with - Oak, Maple and Ash - I use about everything else in the arch including popple. I have used ash slab wood to boil with and really have to watch my draft with that - as it burns very hot. LOL - I have to replace my burner grate as it sagged burning ash slab. Yep! As others have already stated - hemlock is fine. I keep my wood covered on top - to keep off rain and snow as dry wood is a must.

Bentley Wood Maple
05-27-2014, 03:27 AM
Brought home 4 loads and stick stacked it after sorting it out. Think I have around 1400 bd ft of mainly. 1x 8 and 1 x12. Still at least 15 loads left over there. I may bring some more home but at this point really wondering just how much of this I want to bring home?

maple flats
05-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Bring it all home. The good solid stuff you can build with and that less than solid will burn fine.