PDA

View Full Version : Boy what a late spring!

Diesel Pro
05-21-2014, 11:38 AM
All the rush to avoid "buddy" sap and the leaves are just now finally starting to form...

Birddog
05-21-2014, 12:20 PM
I know what you mean. I'm in NE Mn and I feel like I pulled the plug too soon this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
05-22-2014, 07:16 PM
The same way up in the U.P. also, just starting to see green if you look close at the buds. My son does not know what buddy syrup tastes like so we tried to make some on the stove. Last weekend we tapped a few trees since we had a light frost. I know the reds would be buddy but they would not run so we tapped a few hard maples. That was on May 18th, a couple days later we boiled it and it was not buddy. To me it seemed like there was a slight hint of buddy but not something I could really tell him that is what buddy syrup tastes like.

Ausable
05-23-2014, 06:23 PM
So Mark - Is the Snow finally gone in the UP? Seems kinda nice walking on bare ground again - down here under the Big Mac Bridge. --Mike--

Mark
05-26-2014, 07:51 AM
So Mark - Is the Snow finally gone in the UP? Seems kinda nice walking on bare ground again - down here under the Big Mac Bridge. --Mike--
We still had snow on the ground after the check valves quit and we waited for the snow to melt before pulling taps. It is gone now but harder to reach the taps.