PDA

View Full Version : legal questions concerning sugarbush lease agreement

boneheadben
05-17-2014, 01:30 PM
here is the story in a short version.

I was in the woods that i lease during the season when a guy on a quad came through, introduces himself and says he is buying the land i lease, i didn't even know it was for sale, as per lease i have first refusal. well i went and consulted an lawyer, figured were i stood legally. well a few days later the landowners came to see me wanting me to sign the release right away, i said no to signing right there. well after 7 days i figured that the hassle along with having no money wasn't worth it, so i signed it. mind that went they came over to see me it was all verbally recorded, and they as much admitted that they had some other buyer. i found out later that they were offering it to the other guy less than what they offered it to me. still wouldn't have enough money. my question is do i still have to pay the amount due as per agreement payable by may 15? (the land is not closed on yet supposedly any-day):rolleyes:

wiam
05-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Was this a long term lease that was recorded in the deede? I would say if you signed out of the lease and this payment is for next year that you would not have to pay.

maple flats
05-17-2014, 04:15 PM
I'd ask your lawyer that, but my thinking is that you pay when the lease states to whom ever owns the land when due by lease specifications. Be sure to get a full, formal, signed receipt, since it may likely be an issue later on.

boneheadben
05-17-2014, 07:43 PM
wiam this is the remainder of the payment due for this season, 1st half due dec 31. i didn't release the lease just the right of 1st refusal to the land.2nd year out of 5, they wouldn't give the financial from needed to go with the lease so that it could be recorded in county hall. my question is since they breached the contract, they actually had signed the papers already, why should i have to pay? maple flats every payment i have given them has a receipt thankfully. the real problem that they are getting divorced and he is a drunk pawn in her hands. the guy buying the land says that he wants me to finish the lease and then see about doing more years or not. whew!

wiam
05-17-2014, 09:23 PM
I would pay the rest of this year.