PDA

View Full Version : Re-bottling

acrete
05-17-2014, 10:52 AM
Hey I was just looking for some advice... I bought 10 gallons of syrup from bascoms along with a bunch of bottles. I bought 200 of the gallone nips that I am bottling as wedding favors. I have th 16x16 leader canner. Does this syrup need to be refiltered? I was thinking if it doesn't, I would slowly heat the syrup in the canner to about 190 then fill the bottles which I will have in the oven at 190. Would that work or would that form niter from the syrup right on the burner getting too hot? Should I just Heat the syrup in a pot and then filter through the canner and then bottle? I also don't want too much to evaporate and be too dense. Any opinions?

wiam
05-17-2014, 02:03 PM
I have heard you should refilter unless you heat in a water jacket canner. I do not and have not seen any niter in my glass. Some will form on the bottom of my canner(propane open flame), but it is stuck to the bottom.

maple flats
05-17-2014, 03:59 PM
You might be OK.... but for wedding favors do you really want to risk any cloudiness?

lpakiz
05-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Have you considered canning the nips in a water bath canner? I have done small bottles this way, and it works quite well.
I filled the nips with a squeeze bottle. It saves a lot of mess, as it is tough to fill the small-neck bottles from my canner valve.
After the bottles are filled, set them in a water bath canner and fill the canner with water up to their necks. Insert a probe-type thermometer into one of the bottles. When the temp gets to about 180, top off the bottles in place, with the squeeze bottle. When the temp gets to 185, put on a heavy rubber glove, retrieve each bottle, screw on the lid, done.