PDA

View Full Version : Something funny about 2014 State grade kits

vtmapleman
05-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Is it me or are the new state grade kits wrong - I thought the light transparently for what was Fancy and Grade A Golden Color with Delicate Taste were suppose to be 75% which I thought meant they were equal; however, if you take the 2013 kit and the 2014 kit there is a significant difference in color...what is the story.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-13-2014, 04:35 AM
Your talking the new grade kit with 3 bottles in it right? Yea I will never make the new "fancy" unless I put a airinjectoni kit in syrup pan.
There deffinately a difference between the two

maple flats
05-13-2014, 04:55 AM
The break points ARE different from what they used to be.

vtmapleman
05-13-2014, 05:41 AM
Chumlee correct - I just got a new kit with the three bottles... According to the VMSMA newsletter of February 2014 the light transparency for Fancy (under the old grading system) and Grade A Golden Color (new grade system) have a light transparency of 75%tc. If the light transparency for both old and new is 75%tc than why the difference in color? I believe that the VMSMA needs to come out with an explanation of the difference in color when the light transparency factor is the same. Try to explain to our customers why the transparency factor is the same but the color is different.

OldManMaple
05-13-2014, 06:26 AM
At Goodrich's open house Henry Marckres stated that the
Golden Color with Delicate Flavor sample was an incorrect shade and to replace it with the Fancy sample from an old set and they would be correcting it and provide replacement samples

rchase
05-13-2014, 11:56 AM
The golden color in the kits is wrong. It is too light. I was told this by mary croft from vsma.

vtmapleman
05-13-2014, 03:31 PM
It's to bad that VMSMA hasn't sent out any notices to its members about the wrong color in the grade kits.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-14-2014, 04:48 AM
I just thought we were getting SHAFTED by Light transparency like we did with the new names and nothing we can do about it.

GeneralStark
05-28-2014, 06:48 PM
So do all new grading kits sold in 2014 have the wrong sample transparency for GD? Is this the only sample that is incorrect?

K.I. Joe
05-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Do we call Bascoms to get a replacement??

western mainer
05-29-2014, 04:59 AM
MMPA has recently learned that the new Maple Syrup Grade Kits, distributed in 2014, have one vial that is not accurate. These new kit, supplied by the Vermont Agency of Agriculture through the Vermont Maple Sugar Makers Association, included a sample vial for the highest grade of syrup, now known as Grade A: Golden Color with Delicate Taste, which was too light. Vermont officials did not realize the golden color/ delicate taste sample in the maple syrup grading kit was too light until kits were sold and distributed to maple syrup producers, according to Henry Marckres of the Vermont Agency of Agriculture. Henry Marckres said the USDA relied on Tintometer Ltd., a UK based company, to manufacture the kits. He said in the future the USDA is planning to make its own color samples. He also noted that the mix-up was “unfortunate,” but that the sample will be corrected by next year. So, some of that amber color syrup that producers jugged this year, may have been Golden, until it darkened after time in the jugs....... Many thanks to Mark Bryant for providing us with this information.
Regards,
Michael Bryant
MMPA

Why would you have the UK make these??
Brian