PDA

View Full Version : Going to sell a little bulk today

maple flats
05-09-2014, 05:04 AM
I'm going to Countryside Hardware in Deruyter, NY today to sell 2 small barrels of B and C. This is the week they buy, yesterday, today and tomorrow, mornings only. I'll post prices when I get back.

smtwn94
05-09-2014, 05:48 AM
I'm heading down there shortly too. I've only got two five gallon containers of C to sell bulk. Plus probably get a few supplies.

maple flats
05-09-2014, 11:46 AM
I just got back. They pd $2.50 for dark and $2.40 for B. I had graded both as C because I thought they had an off flavor, they graded 153# as B and 189# as Dark A. I didn't complain. The rest I'll sell retail. I think the other prices were $2.60 Light, $2.50 Med and $2.00 Com, but since I only had the dark and B I'm not sure.
The gal there must end up with a sugar high before the day is out, she tastes every sample all day long.

DaveB
05-09-2014, 02:08 PM
I just got back. They pd $2.50 for dark and $2.40 for B. I had graded both as C because I thought they had an off flavor, they graded 153# as B and 189# as Dark A. I didn't complain. The rest I'll sell retail. I think the other prices were $2.60 Light, $2.50 Med and $2.00 Com, but since I only had the dark and B I'm not sure.
The gal there must end up with a sugar high before the day is out, she tastes every sample all day long.

I remember talking to one of the guys at Bascoms once and commenting that he had the best job in the world but he said that he hated it. He said that after the first couple of days that the test started to wear on him and he actually couldn't stand it any more.

Question for you - what do they do with the syrup that they buy? Are they are packer or an agent for a packer?

maple flats
05-09-2014, 05:14 PM
I didn't ask this year, but last year they were going to a big packer in Vermont, I forget the name. It was a newer one (or one I was not familiar with anyways. (That might be how Vt. shows such large production, much of NY's bulk goes there too).

DrTimPerkins
05-09-2014, 08:17 PM
(That might be how Vt. shows such large production, much of NY's bulk goes there too).

No, VT production numbers do not include syrup from other states. Imports, whether from the US or Canada are reported in other ways. Only syrup PRODUCED in VT can be called (and counted as) VT syrup.

maple flats
05-10-2014, 06:56 AM
I had actually figured that was the case, my comment was just a tongue in cheek comment. Sorry.

mike z
05-10-2014, 09:35 AM
No one's laughing maple flats! Okay, I chuckled a bit.

maple flats
05-10-2014, 12:11 PM
I didn't expect any laughs, only a little grin from some outside of VT. I expected a defensive comment from Vt.

TheMapleMoose
05-10-2014, 01:57 PM
Vermont wouldn't want any of your syrup anyway. Not "fancy" enough.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-12-2014, 04:54 AM
I had actually figured that was the case, my comment was just a tongue in cheek comment. Sorry.

just remember if you accidently get tri[ped at Verona next year think of me as you hit the ground HEHHE:lol:

JK Dave I too was waiting for comments, just mention RO flavor is sub standard to natural and wood gives better flavor than oil, those comments usually wake people up also HAHAHAHA

maple flats
05-12-2014, 05:02 AM
I guess I started this little bickering of sorts, let's all now just get back to being a friendly maple community. We don't need this. I guess I wasn't thinking when I made the first comment, sorry for the distraction from being good friends.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-12-2014, 07:06 PM
I'm totally kidding Dave if some one can't joke around a little and lighten up a little I can Give anger management classes iv taken enough of them.

DanE.
04-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Good morning all, Does anyone know what days Countryside is buying this year? D.

sapman
04-08-2015, 08:57 AM
Don't think they've said yet. If you've sold to them in the past, they usually send you a flier.

saphound
04-08-2015, 03:50 PM
Good morning all, Does anyone know what days Countryside is buying this year? D.

DanE, Did you read the first post? ...it's right there.
Dave, was that 2.40 a pound?..or gallon.

This is a funny thread, I knew you were kidding Flat Lander
Maple Moose...hilarious..lol

mellondome
04-08-2015, 05:18 PM
You do realize most of the thread was from last year?

DanE.
04-08-2015, 05:47 PM
DanE, Did you read the first post? ...it's right there.
Dave, was that 2.40 a pound?..or gallon.

This is a funny thread, I knew you were kidding Flat Lander
Maple Moose...hilarious..lol
That would be fine if I had I time machine, but I don't. I was looking for this year. Dane

saphound
04-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Doh! No I didn't notice that until now mellondrome..that would explain Dans' (or Danes'?) question..thanks for pointing that out.