PDA

View Full Version : best choice for 2 x 4 evaporator

highlandcattle
05-04-2014, 03:14 PM
OK everybody. Our farm is up for sale. Selling off all of our equipment and starting over again smaller. Our 2x8 cdl raised flue evaporator will be listed for sale. We are going back to a 2 x4. I would like opinions on various brands. Have looked at leader cdl smoky lake mason any and all please jump in and let me know.

asknupp
05-04-2014, 06:44 PM
I'm looking to sell or possibly trade off my smoky lake 2x4 continuous pan. 2x8 is a lil bigger then what I'd be interested in but really enjoyed boiling on the pan from smoky lake. Just looking for something more

MapleMark753
05-04-2014, 07:38 PM
CDL does have the raised flue 20x66 "hobby", may not be what you're looking for, but would keep you with a similar rig, hot n cold floats, etc...that you may be used to.
We don't have a 2x4, but do have a Lapierre 2x5, and think its good. Its also a raised flue, without RO it does fine, with RO it does better (fewer taps or more taps).
best of luck on your sale, and good luck!
take care, Mark

Loch Muller
05-05-2014, 05:24 AM
I like my Mason 2x4. It boils great and didn't cost me a fortune. A blower is a huge help on the 2x4. There is also a guy in Syracuse, NY, Next Gen Maple, making small evaporators now. If money wasn't an issue I'd get something with flues and a reversible pan. The CDL 20x66" hobby looks nice, or Smoky Lake makes a really nice looking raised flue pan set. Leader, Dominion and Grimm, and Lapierre make entry level 2x6 rigs that don't cost much more than the CDL 20x66" if your thinking about spending that much money. Another year or two and I'd think about trading for/buying your 2x8 as well, but I just don't have the money to pull it off right now. Good luck.

Noah's Ark
05-07-2014, 08:37 AM
I got a 2x4 Mason this year, it is a continuous flow with a blower. I really like the setup. He also makes a flue pan you can get for the 2x4 if you need a little more output. Order early if you want one for next season. I think Bascoms also caries some of his evaporators.

n8hutch
05-07-2014, 06:39 PM
I would try Jim at smokeylake, I bet he could build you a 2x4 hybrid pan and then you could build your own arch, I used to have a 2x4 raised flue small brothers hybrid pan and I could get 20+ gph with it easily, think it had 7 or 8 5" flues, I bet Jim could squeeze more flues in his.

highlandcattle
05-08-2014, 05:56 AM
I want to thank everyone for their input. I have been getting info. About all of these. We had a Grimm lightening years ago and that was great. It will come down to money and the features we really want. Leaning toward the Mason..

SPILEDRIVER
05-08-2014, 02:21 PM
check out sunrise metal shops spitfire setups......very nice setup with the bells and whistles of the big rigs....rear pans have flues...and very good price

David Lyman
05-12-2014, 07:46 PM
I've got a Smokey Lake 2X4 Hybrid on a home made arch. 275 oil drum ,ramped ,insulated with arch board and bricked. It does really well, we averaged 20-25 gph.
Dry wood was the key to a good boil. It has a blower coming in from the back with a tube that vents up in under the grates. we also used another blower from the front blowing up at the front end of the fire box. This made a much harder boil in the syrup end of the pan. I made a couple of splash panels for the flue sides of the pan. The flue boil is very good with this drop flue pan. I'm selling and looking to go to a 2X6. If you or any one is interested I'm asking $2500