PDA

View Full Version : Snowed - Not So Unusual...

Clarkfield Farms
05-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Well, we had some snow mixed in with today's rain. Not unusual.

Since before I was born (1958), my oldest brother kept records of rain/snowfall, temperatures, etc. After I got to be about 8 or 9, I took over.

Since I've been alive, we've only had 8 years where it did NOT snow at least a little (like this morning) in May. We've had some big storms in May over the years. The Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend several years ago, we had 2" of snow on the roads, a few miles and several hundred feet up the road had 4". When I drove down into the village and it was just raining and had stayed all rain; when people saw the snow on the Jeep, they were stunned. One guy was walking along carrying a couple of bags of groceries and when he saw the snow on the Jeep his jaw dropped and so did the groceries. I felt bad that I laughed.

I know, I know... some of you guys get far worse. But it's always funny how many people think that "New York" is just a big city.

Just thought I'd share. And, I'm pretty sure that this year --- we've still got more snow to come. We'll see.

- Tim

n8hutch
05-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Always nice to hear statistics and old-fashioned humor as well, we had over a foot of snow in places last year on memorial day weekend here in New Hampshire. Nice quote also

maplerookie
05-04-2014, 01:51 PM
Well, we had some snow mixed in with today's rain. Not unusual.

Since before I was born (1958), my oldest brother kept records of rain/snowfall, temperatures, etc. After I got to be about 8 or 9, I took over.

Since I've been alive, we've only had 8 years where it did NOT snow at least a little (like this morning) in May. We've had some big storms in May over the years. The Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend several years ago, we had 2" of snow on the roads, a few miles and several hundred feet up the road had 4". When I drove down into the village and it was just raining and had stayed all rain; when people saw the snow on the Jeep, they were stunned. One guy was walking along carrying a couple of bags of groceries and when he saw the snow on the Jeep his jaw dropped and so did the groceries. I felt bad that I laughed.

I know, I know... some of you guys get far worse. But it's always funny how many people think that "New York" is just a big city.

Just thought I'd share. And, I'm pretty sure that this year --- we've still got more snow to come. We'll see.

- Tim Yep my part of the city is all farms both dairy and vegetable and lots of woodlots and forest area and creeks. nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. We didn't get any snow down here in Western New York. I guess that is just reserved for you lucky guys and gals way up north!

Clarkfield Farms
05-05-2014, 06:07 AM
lol, I meant to say that "a few miles and several hundred feet in elevation up the road..." Oh well.

31*F here this morning, but no precipitation. Thank God for no rain or snow. WAY too much for years now.

DaveB
05-09-2014, 01:58 PM
I've been keeping a weather record for the past 30 years myself. I actually went to college for meteorology but I work in IT among other things. The elevation thing can really make a world of difference. I work in a valley about 800' lower than where I live and you can really notice the difference some times.

In terms of May snow, we've had some here as well. A couple of big ones too like 1977. Just last year we had some rain/snow mix over Memorial Day weekend.

I've always felt sorry for folks in upstate NY because of what you mention. There's some really rural and remote areas to NYS but people seem to forget about that.