PDA

View Full Version : Boiling/sterilizing plastic bottles

Mr. Red Maple
05-03-2014, 09:26 PM
I've got two questions. Can you and do you have to boil plastic maple syrup jugs to sterilize them. And do you have to sterilize new plastic maple syrup jugs if so how?

ryebrye
05-03-2014, 10:39 PM
I've got two questions. Can you and do you have to boil plastic maple syrup jugs to sterilize them. And do you have to sterilize new plastic maple syrup jugs if so how?

The proper canning (or bottling) procedure is to put hot syrup (between 180 and 200) into the jugs. At this temperature it kills any bacteria in the jugs.

After you put the cap on it, lay it on its side to expose the underside of the cap to the hot syrup as well.

PerryW
05-04-2014, 08:45 AM
If they are new, they do not need to be sterilized. They should however, be stored in a rodent proof area and the plastic bag inside the box should be closed up. Just before filling, I tip the jugs upside down and tap them to make sure there aren't any stray pieces of plastic from the manufacturing process.

For bottling, I reheat my syrup to 198 degrees, standardize density, and refilter into my filter canner. I have a dial thermometer on my canner and keep filling jugs until the temp drops to 185 to ensure that the syrup is at least 180 when the cap is screwed on.

wiam
05-04-2014, 05:31 PM
I agree with Perry. I will add to check with local regulations as some do not allow reusing containers if selling. If it is for your own use I would reuse.

Mr. Red Maple
05-06-2014, 05:24 PM
can i still use a bottle if the year before i had the cap off for 10 or so mins but never filled it and put the can on. can i still use it this year