PDA

View Full Version : Ferris 3-wheel mower question

Bucket Head
05-03-2014, 03:57 PM
Anyone here ever change the hydro transmission fluid on a Ferris Pro-Cut 20 mower. The manual has no info on that service. Its the Eaton unit, not the newer Hydrogear unit. How do you go about draining the system? Is removing the line(s) of the reservoir required for draining? Am I not seeing a drain plug somewhere?

Any info or leads on how to change the fluid would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

maple flats
05-03-2014, 05:22 PM
Sorry Steve. Mine was only changed once in the almost 30 years since it was made, and then the dealer did it, while it was in for a new electric operated clutch.

Bucket Head
05-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Hey Dave,

Yikes. Only once in almost thirty years? When did the dealer recomend the next fluid and filter change?

Steve

Paul VT
05-04-2014, 05:11 AM
Some walk behinds and zero turns the only way to drain the hydraulic fluid is by removing the filter. If this is what you find fill the filter before you put it back on. They can get air bound easily on some units.

maple flats
05-04-2014, 09:19 AM
Hey Dave,

Yikes. Only once in almost thirty years? When did the dealer recommend the next fluid and filter change?

Steve
That was about 10 yrs ago, and they did not mention a change again. Mine is an old 48" cut, if I don't sell it and buy a bigger one I may change it in a year or 2. I was not the original owner, it came from a cemetery, where it had been used for 5-6 seasons. Since then I've used it to mow the aisles in my 4.5 acres of blueberries and my 1/4 acre of raspberries plus my mother's 2+ acre lawn.

Bucket Head
05-04-2014, 10:12 AM
Dave- I know the hydro fluid on most things does'nt get changed as often as the engine oil does. I worried when you said thirty years!

Paul- I service the mower at work which has the same drive unit, and that one has a "screen" for a filter. I remove it, the fluid drains and I refill after reassembly. My mower has the improved spin-on filter set up, so I assumed that there would be a drain plug so removal of the filter housing would'nt be required. I'll go out there again and look closer to see if there is a plug hiding somewhere. At worst, it'll wait until tomorrow and I'll make a phone call.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Steve

collinsmapleman2012
05-08-2014, 07:06 AM
If there is no plug, I normally jus find the lowest point and disconnect a hose. make sure to try and get the new oil down the lines before operation, it makes life easier when there is no air in the system. if you are going through the trouble of draining the hydraulic oil, then replace the filter too. I know some people that "spread their money" by not replacing filters, not really a great saver for the equipment. get it up on blocks or something if you can, so that you can drain easier. good luck!