PDA

View Full Version : Base/Akaline burn

Jmsmithy
05-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Cleaning pans w/ Leader pan cleaner according to their instructions. Then went to the baking soda step where they say, again in their instructions, use 3-4 boxes baking soda per 40 gals of water, simmer etc then rinse. Someone mentioned to me there may be a "base burn" w/ that much baking soda??
I did take out about 30 gals of the baking soda mix and flushed w/ approx 60 gals fresh water. Still sitting in rig as I had to head back south - back tues to finish the process. Planning on doing process again but this time Ill wipe pans down...

Anyone ever hear of that "base burn" issue??

happy thoughts
05-02-2014, 05:15 PM
Never heard of the base burn issue. I'll assume your pans are stainless??? FWIW,, lye is safe for use on stainless and that is much more basic than baking soda which in this instance is being used to neutralize the pan acid. That said, I'd follow the instructions to the letter as given by Leader since they know best how their product should be used and works best. Since the purpose of the baking soda is to neutralize any remaining acid, using less base may not neutralize the acid enough. Any remnants of acid may affect the taste of future syrup.