PDA

View Full Version : surge alamo 76

jimbison
05-02-2014, 06:43 AM
Hi been lurking and learning for awhile but now need info how high of vacuum can reasonably be obtained with this pump now getting a solid 21 inches on 1600 taps with wet dry system have used the original moisture trap for oil tank and reclaimer added to top for reclaimer feeding intake side of pump for the flood I removed the wire in the oilers and drilled to 3/32 fed via 1/4 copper lines valved to control flow rate still using original vanes can I tweak this to 25+ inches or more

Rselleck91
05-03-2014, 01:36 AM
These old milk pumps usually are good for 18" of continues vac. Reclaimer with a oil cooler will have a big affect with the pump not heating up if you were to shoot for 21-22 no need to go higher with that pump. Just not made for it. Every "hg above 20" is claimed to be 5% more yield. Maybe a new pump maybe in your intrest. You can get a liquid ring Kinney pump for 500-1500 $ what the sugar dealers would charge you 4g for

jimbison
05-03-2014, 05:58 AM
no running water for cooling 1 mile from power have to use gas powered everything seen post on here where some are getting 25 + inches with these modified thanks for your help

jimbison
05-05-2014, 05:19 PM
can the kinney be used with oil to seal or just water

BreezyHill
05-05-2014, 07:09 PM
Can you send me a pic of this unit?

I rebuild dairy pumps and have never seen a Surge 76, Delaval has a 76. Alamo has a 75?

Yes an Alamo 75 will do 27 to 28" with ease. Many people don't relize how these pumps were designed. My dad was a surge dealer.

Dairy pumps are regulated to operate at 15-18" for the health of the milking animal...cow, goat, and even sheep. The pressure exuded thru the inflation at a vacuum of over 18" will injure the animal.

The misconception that these pumps were "designed" to operate at 15-18" is not factual.

I have a Deleval 75 that pulls 27" and a D 73 that pulls better than 28+. This season the 73 ran for 10 days straight with only enough time to check the oil and it was back on.

I have not rebuild this unit so it is the original configuration and not my redesign of the oiling system. I have a Alamo 75+ that I bought and will be checking its cfm in a few days. I have just purchased an old CFM tester that allows the operator to check cfm of a pump at different vac levels. These are not made anymore and is a rare find.

If you have a 75+ it should have a 5.25" pulley on a 5hp motor. This unit pulls 45 cfm at 15 stock. Do you have the original oil reclaimer, filter bank and does it have an inlet oiler?

Also on the stock oil reclaimer there is a temp gauge. What does she run at?

Ben

jimbison
05-06-2014, 06:27 PM
must be the 75 not a 76 was told it was 76 ? had 5.25 pulley and 5hp motor now a Honda with 3.5 in pulley running at about 1/3 throttle it came as one unit with oil resivoir with reclaimer on top of discharge with moisture trap on intake repiped the discharge to moisture trap now a oil tank with old oil tank reclaimer mounted on top oil for bearing now comes from old moisture trap used as tank the only oil for the intake comes from the reclaimer not a lot deheaded at the releaser today can only get 23 1/2 inches

BreezyHill
05-06-2014, 10:07 PM
Shucks I thought you had a rare unit for me to see. There is a water cooled series that Surge made that I have never seen.
Can you send a pic of the unit. I am not sure I am following how you repiped the unit.

The original reclaimer should have had an oil filter in it. If this gets clogged you will starve the unit for oil and she will run hot.

I am thinking you may need to hone the housing. This is not a bad job and it is harder to find a hone the right size than to do the job. I use a cordless drill and it can take as little as 10 minutes or as long as 30 to do the job.

If the housing is waved you will have a hard time getting high vac as the vanes will skip across the valley and loose contact with the housing and let air slip by. If you were to increase the intake oil drips this can be limited but usually not over come fully.

A set of vanes for the unit run around $145 + Shipping, a Minor rebuild kit runs 169 + S. and has the bearings and shims and Shaft seal. Major kit has a race for the bearing added and is 207 + S.

If it were me I would do the minor kit if the unit need vanes.

First I would see if I could add some oil to the intake and get the unit higher on vac. To do this all you need to do is to have a cup of oil from the reclaimer and a piece of sap tubing and a large heavy rag or towel. Not the misses good towels either...LOL.

Slip the tubing into the inlet and seal of the unit with the towel. Make sure the towel will not get into the pump as this will cause an issue. use a set of locking pliers to close of the tubing some and hold the tubing in the oil. You can start the pump and then add the towel. The extra oil will tell us if you can seal the unit with oil or if there is a project in the future.

There is another trick that can be used if this doesn't get the vac up. It is not so easy and does take some calculating of the oil in the reclaimer and all.

The old way was to add some motor oil to the vac oil to get a thicker oil that will seal better. The problem is you have to use a nonfoaming oil and not a blend like 15-40. You want a 30 to 40 weight oil. It has to be non foaming or the oilers will plug.

This works great on the older D 73 & 75 units as they have an oil reservoir and as long as your M trap is working you will be golden. My trap passed some moisture and I had a mess this season.

This is an old trick to get a failing pump thru a milking or a few days. Works great to get a little more vac out of these pumps.

There is one other last resort but I will keep that one under raps for now; since the season is over and you have all summer to rebuild this unit for next year.

jimbison
05-09-2014, 06:59 AM
972697279728[attach=config]9729[/attach here are some pics hope this helps