PDA

View Full Version : Freezing Syrup

dblact38
04-30-2014, 06:58 PM
This year I would like to freeze some of my syrup that's in mason jars. Are there any precautions to take and is there any special way to thaw the syrup? would I haveto heat the syrup back up or just let it come to room temperature any advice will help. Thanks in advance

wnybassman
04-30-2014, 07:05 PM
This year I would like to freeze some of my syrup that's in mason jars. Are there any precautions to take and is there any special way to thaw the syrup? would I haveto heat the syrup back up or just let it come to room temperature any advice will help. Thanks in advance

Syrup of proper density won't freeze.

ryebrye
04-30-2014, 07:28 PM

If your syrup is at the right density, it won't actually freeze. You can put it in the freezer and it will be fine. It will stay good in the freezer.

(I suppose there is some temperature at which it will freeze - presumably above 0 Kelvin - but it's not going to freeze in your freezer)

happy thoughts
04-30-2014, 07:30 PM
As long as the jars are freezer safe, you should be good to go. As WNYbassman said, syrup of proper density won't freeze solid so you should be able to scoop out the amount you need. If you think it's on the thin side (under density) freeze it in smaller containers that can be used within a week or two once defrosted. Be careful if thawing in the microwave. Start with lower power and small time increments (in the seconds, not minutes) until you see what happens with the amount you have. Syrup tends to heat up very fast. Keep all unused syrup refrigerated once thawed.

SeanD
04-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Just let it thaw out at room temperature. It will only take a few hours depending on the size of the jar and air temperature. No reheating needed. You are good to go.

Sean

Big_Eddy
05-02-2014, 11:47 AM
Whatever you do - don't put a mason jar with frozen contents into the microwave - unless you like cleaning up afterwards. You'd think the kids would learn by the 12th time.

Galena
05-14-2014, 06:50 AM
I've had no problem keeping syrup in the freezer as the syrup itself is nice and liquid, although thick of course. I just let it thaw out at room temp without problem.

But I have some ice in a few jars from this year's crop, so I guess that means that THAT syrup isn't up to Brix!! Wondering if simply fishing out the ice will Brix it out? Anyone know?

maple flats
05-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Since it does not freeze, "thawing out" is a misnomer. I tell my customers who buy larger sizes or quantities of smaller sizes that they should store all extra in the freezer. I tell them to pour out what they will use in the next 2-4 weeks, into another container to keep in the refrigerator and then put the rest in the freezer. It does not freeze but will be thicker to pour out. Storing it in the freezer will preserve the flavor best, and mold will never be an issue either.