PDA

View Full Version : Sand and how much?

Al
02-19-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm already to put in my sand. Now how much do you put in? Do you go all the way to the top and how far from the stack do you start to slope your sand?
Thanks

Mike
02-19-2004, 02:19 PM
Al, Did they give you an instruction sheet when you bought your rig? I put sand in up to the top of the rail back to about 10" from the back then slope it down to the back...This helps wiith the draft.... you may have to experiment with the distance for your slope....If you need to give me a call tonight around 8 ill try to help you....Mike......

WF MASON
02-22-2004, 07:20 AM
Sand ??in a NEW evaporator ????Have you ever seen a arch that is all rusted through , and not that old , I'm sure you have .The sand holds the mositure in the arch the other 47 weeks your not boiling , of course , this is my opinion only , I've also seen 1920's arches as solid as the day they were made, no sand ,if you need to drive the fire up into the flues , I tell people to build up that spot with sheetmetal and cover it with firebrick(full or half depending on the space) or cermic blanket ,if the arch is old and crap anyway , put the sand to it if you want .

saphead
02-22-2004, 07:59 AM
W.F. I totally agree with you on avoiding the use of sand and would add to avoid it's use in an old tired arch.A lot of old rigs have a cast piece where the long pipe legs screw in and this area often gets weak from rust.Add to that a little mis alignment of the legs, a flue pan of sap and the extra weight of sand and you have a potential disaster! I agree with using fire brick to direct the flue gas as well ,it really protects your insulation while brushing the flue pan.When I used to rebuild indusrial boilers on the fireside and we used Kao-Wool(ceramic fiber), which available on e-bay,high temp insulation board and plastic refractory.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-22-2004, 10:35 AM
Another problem with sand is it's weight. I would think it would be extra weight in the arch for nothing and sand does not have good reflective or insulating qualities and will definitely hold moisture.

mapleman3
02-22-2004, 11:04 AM
I used Vermiculite in mine, plus ceramic blanket over it. worked great, no weight, you can use perlite also, both found at building supply or masonry supply house.

Al
02-22-2004, 12:52 PM
When your down to your last doller sand is cheap. I know it's not the best but I'm lucky to be boiling at all this year.!!!!
Take care

WF MASON
02-22-2004, 01:36 PM
I hear what ya say'in, I used sand myself long ago , the ONLY advantage I can see in getting older is, maybe a little wizer (wife would disagree)!