PDA

View Full Version : Converting old Rite-way stove into arch

penfrydd
04-29-2014, 07:24 PM
I had been toying with the idea of a hobby sized evaporator, but then remembered that I have an old Rite-way sheet-metal-sided stove out in the barn (somewhere...). I don't (at least at this time) wish to manage more than 20 taps or so, so I'm thinking about having a pan made for the top of the stove. Do you guys suggest just a simple single flat pan, or do you think I should make a front and back pan? I can't recall the dimensions of the stove just now but I'd estimate it so be around 20" wide by around 36" long.

penfrydd
04-29-2014, 07:25 PM
Well, that was dumb! I forgot to ask what gauge to make the pans, and what sort of welding to ask for, etc.

Bernie/MA
04-30-2014, 02:27 PM
I have some 18"x36"x6" deep ss flat pans I made for a project. They work better with dividers that I haven't put in yet. I made one the same size for my grandson with 2 dividers (3 sections).

jrmaple
04-30-2014, 04:15 PM
For my first evaporator, a 2x4 Leader arch, with a custom made 2x4 flat bottom pan, they made it out of 18 gauge SS I believe, and TIG welded the corners and dividers, LEAD FREE is the important part... I believe most pans are now made out of 22 gauge SS, but I would say any thickness between 16-22 is safe. If your stove is approx. 2'x3' I would say you would want two dividers (making three separate sections), then a draw-off point at two corners that are opposite of each other, so you will be able to simply flip the pan around (but it is not a need for a pan this small). The reasoning for having the separate compartments is so you aren't mixing raw sap with syrup that is close to being done, you will get a cleaner, better product this way. And a 1" valve would probably work the best as well. Best of luck!