PDA

View Full Version : Syrup making crystals

MapleGroup
04-29-2014, 05:19 PM
This is my first year boiling and I have noticed in my first two batches the bottom is crystalizing. I used the racfactometer and get 66 and take it off then. Any help would be great

Cabin
04-29-2014, 05:30 PM
This is my first year boiling and I have noticed in my first two batches the bottom is crystalizing. I used the racfactometer and get 66 and take it off then. Any help would be great

The hot test number 59% is lower than the cold 66.9. Have you checked out the cold reading?

maple flats
04-29-2014, 06:16 PM
The crystals are sugar, you went too dense. At 211 degrees you want about 59 but many like 59.5 better. It can be saved, just add some clean water, while heating add just enough to desolve the sugar crystals , then stir it and boil until the refractometer shows 59.5. Before that, have you calibrated the refractometer? It must be adjusted to give an accurate reading. Read the instructions for that. Do you have a good hydrometer? If yes and you know it is accurate, once you get that to show 59.5% on your syrup, just place a drop or 2 on the refractometer and then adjust it to also read the 59.5%. After that you can use the refractometer alone with confidence.