PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy tree cross section

Maplewalnut
04-28-2014, 07:02 PM
With maple tap staining of course. Think it would be a great addition to sugar house tours. Had a chance to get a piece from someone a few years ago from tree blown down in wind storm and passed on it . More tap staining the better. Only need a thin cross section.

Mike

doocat
04-28-2014, 07:10 PM
If your looking for a slice out of one that has been tapped I'm pretty sure I can hlep you out. Have at least one blow down in the bush that I cut one out of.

Craig

lpakiz
04-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Another neat display is a slab from a tapped maple, showing the stain streaks and hollow tap hole from the INSIDE! Ask someone at a sawmill to be on the look-out.

Maplewalnut
04-29-2014, 09:13 AM
Craig- Thats what I am looking for. I saw one a while back that had been tapped for decades and had tap marks all the way around it. If you think about it this summer cut me a slice.

lpakiz- What do you mean from the inside? I guess there is two ways to cut it, length wise like from a saw mill to get the tap hole effect, which looks cool for inside boards and horizontally (think of cutting a slice off the top of a stump) which will show the tap stain column and potentially some tap hole pockets at varying depths as the tree grew.

Mike

lpakiz
04-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Mike, that is what I meant--a view from the inside of a sawmill slab. But I have seen the disc you are talking about, and those are very interesting also..

Z/MAN
04-29-2014, 08:53 PM
Mike, I had a few of my trees die from the ice storm a few years ago. I will be downing them this year. Was hoping to do the same thing you want to do. I wonder how they will look if I slice them with my chainsaw, I don't have any other means of cutting it. If it works you are welcome to a slice!
Paul

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
04-30-2014, 05:32 AM
You may have to put wax or polyurethane on the cut surfaces so it doesn't dry out too quickly and split. I got a few cross sections last year and used polyurethane. They still split a little bit. It is a neat piece to show people though.

Ausable
04-30-2014, 06:07 AM
My Son and I took down a sugar maple this Spring that was in bad shape. It was very unique where I had tapped over the years. The old spile marks had many growth rings over the top of them that could be seen in a cross section. Even though I tapped at various heights - the spile marks can still be seen. It is like looking at the history of my maple sugar making hobby. Yes - It is something that is nice to have at the sugar shack. ---Mike---

doocat
05-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Mike, Just let me know if your coming by I can leave one out for you.

Craig