PDA

View Full Version : syrup pans

n8hutch
04-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Looked at some new Evaporators this weekend, the last one I looked at was a CDL deluxe model with cross flow syrup pans, I noticed that the partition in the syrup pan was only tack welded on the ends, there was a noticeable gap, my question is what company's weld the full length of the partitions and who doesn't ? Maybe mixing isn't as big a deal on cross flow pans?

jmayerl
04-28-2014, 11:53 AM
My smoky lake pans are fully bent up partions and then welded on the bottoms. Very strong! I don't think he does this for every pan but I would spend the extra money and get this custom done, I burned my pan dry last year and it is so strong that there is only maybe a 3/16" wobble in the bottom right by the draw off. As bad as I burned it, it would have probably made a lesser pan unusable.

Drew Pond Maple
04-28-2014, 08:11 PM
Leader claims to have full welds. My little CDL rig does not. People say that the sugars will eventually seal the gaps up over the course of a few boils.
I had a welder fully weld my partitions up this year and he warped the snot out of my pan. A real mess

Sugarmaker
04-29-2014, 06:54 AM
My 2 cents. I think the seams should be fully closed. If not, the syrup is mixing between partitions and you might as well order a flat pan.
Regards,
Chris

n8hutch
05-01-2014, 02:15 PM
I'm leaning towards a pan set from Smokey lake, there seems are formed into the pan & welded on the ends, can't beat that.

Ausable
05-01-2014, 02:52 PM
My 2 cents. I think the seams should be fully closed. If not, the syrup is mixing between partitions and you might as well order a flat pan.
Regards,
Chris

I agree Chris - Even my little 2'X5' homemade continuous flow has fully welded dividers which are necessary to get a serpentine flow. Good! Grief! - Tack welding dividers in a factory built continuous flow pan? Pay that kind of money and get dividers that are tacked in - hire a welder that can lay a bead and make the dividers - dividers. I had no idea they put such poorly made pans up for sale - Buyer Beware is back.

heus
05-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Even my low cost A&A syrup pan has solid dividers.

n8hutch
05-01-2014, 04:55 PM
I should clarify it was the ends of the dividers that were tack welded not the bottom's, still thought it looked kinda like a shortcut.

regor0
05-02-2014, 12:47 AM
My CDL is just tack welded. I just emailed Jim about getting a new syrup pan made. I'll see if I can have him weld my old one solid also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JADavis
05-02-2014, 05:52 AM
Hi all! I finally joined the trader after being a long time lurker. Thank you all for the great info!

I am pricing out 2'x6' evaporator pans now. I too am pricing out equipment from the various manufacturers and found Smoky Lake to be about the best. Their prices are right in line with or less then the big manufacturers and they seem to put much more care into their pans. I was surprised to see that the flue pan on the smoky lake 2'x6' has 11 flues. I took a trip down to a CDL dealer in central WI and their 2'x6's only have 7 flues. That is a big difference!

I never really thought about the way dividers were made.

Love the Trader! Jason