PDA

View Full Version : Great Sap truck on craigslist for Vermonters

madmapler
04-27-2014, 02:44 PM
I looked into a truck thats a little too small for my needs but might interest others. Its a 81 chevy tanker (ex. fire truck)with a stainless tank thats approx. 1200 to 1300 gallons(12.5' long, 42"high and 62"wide). Detroit Deisel engine and allison trans. with hydraulic brakes(no CDL required). It has a pto for a pump also. Only 11,000 Miles. Good rubber, no rust. No title which I believe is ok in VT. given the age. He's asking $2750.. It would be an awesome sap hauler for someone.http://burlington.craigslist.org/hvo/4420355964.html

Bucket Head
04-27-2014, 10:51 PM
Nice truck. I would'nt mind having that for sap, even though its a Chevy...

If a sugarmaker ends up with it, they will have one of the meanest sounding sap haulers out there. Detroit's have a pretty unique exhaust note to them. Put the siren and air horn(s) back on it and then the neighbors will know when your leaving to gather and when your coming back! Lol!

Steve

wnybassman
04-28-2014, 04:03 AM
I wonder what color lights are required for sap emergencies. :)

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-28-2014, 05:43 AM
Disco ball with Travolta picture hanging from the mirror

Randy Brutkoski
04-28-2014, 06:23 AM
That thing is a chick magnet.

madmapler
04-28-2014, 06:32 AM
they will have one of the meanest sounding sap haulers out there. Detroit's have a pretty unique exhaust note to them. Steve

I absolutely love that sound. I have a 8v71(318) with dual stacks in my 66 White dump truck. I believe its one of the last ones in our area thats still on the road and people definately know when I'm coming. This truck has one of the first 4 stroke Detroits though. It probably sounds pretty tame.

GeneralStark
04-28-2014, 09:56 AM
There was another thread going here about an old fire truck being considered for sap hauling. Some expressed concern over chemical additives being used in the water tank and how this may affect the "food grade" nature of the tank. Even with stainless, what was historically stored in the tank should be considered. I would personally be more likely to look for a used milk truck, or something that has historically hauled food products.

madmapler
04-28-2014, 02:02 PM
Some expressed concern over chemical additives being used in the water tank and how this may affect the "food grade" nature of the tank. Even with stainless, what was historically stored in the tank should be considered. . I suppose thats possible however it was owned by a town not far from me that has a volunteer fire dept. and its most likely that they just used water from a local source but it would'nt be hard to verify.

GeneralStark
04-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Here is the thread I am referring to: http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?17626-used-stainless-tanks/page4&highlight=fire+truck+sap+hauler

If the previous owners can confirm what was or wasn't put in the tank, it could be a score.

wiam
04-28-2014, 06:56 PM
Being on a fire department, I would pass. We pump from many sources. Basically anywhere we can get water. Not usually potable.

madmapler
04-29-2014, 06:39 AM
There was another thread going here about an old fire truck being considered for sap hauling. Some expressed concern over chemical additives being used in the water tank and how this may affect the "food grade" nature of the tank. Even with stainless, what was historically stored in the tank should be considered. After reading the last thread on this topic I am going to keep my opinion to myself, as "painfully" difficult as that is for me.

sg5054
04-29-2014, 10:59 AM
As an ex detroit mechanic starting out in 1977 on 2 strokes, the 8.2 is a piece of CA CA. They had hd gskt issues, o ring issues on the injectors and more. I was part of a total recall campaign in 80-81 for those issues. Not a great design. Cylinder walls are free standing in the block. The cylinders are cast together as one piece but not to the side walls of the block. A real pain to work on. I was having nightmares of them during the recall. Hd gasket would leak and drop antifreeze into the pan which in turn damaged the crank/ rod bearings. We tested the oil for trace amounts of AF. If we found it, drop the pan and roll a new set in in place. The trucks were lined up 2,3,4 deep sometimes waiting. You couldn't give me one. Deal or no deal.
JMHO. :)

Homestead Maple
04-30-2014, 05:22 PM

Brown!! I would imagine this has a steel tank and not a s/s tank, not good for sap

madmapler
05-01-2014, 09:59 AM
I would imagine this has a steel tank and not a s/s tank, not good for sapIt is stainless as indicated in the original post.