PDA

View Full Version : Transport Bulk Tank

mike z
04-27-2014, 12:41 PM
Just wondering if anyone uses a stainless bulk tank to transport sap? Like a smaller tank in the back of a pickup?

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-27-2014, 02:20 PM
I believe Tucker Mtn transports sap with a 650 gallon bulk tank in the back of a Unimog

jrmaple
04-27-2014, 04:11 PM
I used to use a 250 gallon stainless tank to transport sap; very short distance though and always took it slow as it was a open top, round bottom, and used a plywood as a cover that I clamped on top.

Bucket Head
04-27-2014, 11:02 PM
I've seen a couple. But you really have to build some sort of cradle/support for the tank. The legs on them are not suited for movement of the liquid thats inside. Those tanks are designed to be static while holding the weight, not with front to back and side to side movement in or on a moving vehicle. It can be done, just put a lot of thought into the cradle, and "overbuild" it. No such thing as too strong. A stainless steel tank full of sap is just about the last thing you want to be near if it starts moving.

Steve

Bucket Head
05-06-2014, 07:38 PM
Hi Guy's,

Here's a pretty good job of mounting a bulk tank for transport use. It has strong "saddles" holding it, the weight is over the axles and the trailer frame and tongue are up to the challange of hanging onto that much weight. Remember, a gallon of water weighs eight pounds and a ton is two thousand pounds. And its easier getting that much weight moving than it is to slow it down and stop...Choose a tow vehicle wisely. Just food for thought.

This photo was taken at Komrowski's Maple in upstate NY on a Maple Tour three or four years ago.

Steve

mike z
08-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Thanks for sharing this pic. I have the tank now, just need to come up with the trailer.

nymapleguy607
08-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Just make sure it is a zero type bulk tank, and not an open top or you might get a cold bath when hauling.

maple flats
08-07-2014, 06:06 AM
I don't haul in a SS tank, but I would feel safer with heavy straps around the tank rather than just capturing the legs in the mount.

wiam
08-07-2014, 07:03 AM
Nice catch Dave. I did not notice, and I agree with you.