PDA

View Full Version : stainless steel vs. poly bulk tank

tri-mountain maple
04-27-2014, 08:02 AM
I've talked to a bunch of sugarmakers regarding this and most strongly recommend round bottom stainless steel tanks. I'd most like to hear from people who use poly bulk tanks on how easily they are cleaned and how effective they are.

GeneralStark
04-27-2014, 08:30 AM
Having used both stainless and poly tanks, I have gone completely to stainless. If I ever need to truck sap, I will use a poly tank for that, but in terms of sap storage on site, nothing but stainless. My issues with poly are mainly related to how difficult they are to clean. Not just the material, but the shape of the tanks and the size of the openings.

I am considering caged 275 gal. poly tanks for permeate storage until I can afford a couple stainless tanks but will depend upon funds.

heus
04-27-2014, 08:50 AM
I use caged poly tanks for permeate storage but for sap I will never go back to poly. Besides being hard to clean, none of the ones I have used or seen are positively draining. They always leave a little bit of sap when "empty".

madmapler
04-27-2014, 09:00 AM
I'm using all plastic tanks right now mainly because I'm just starting out and They are a good way to curb start up costs. They are a pain to clean and drain but not impossible. A small person can get inside the larger tanks to scrub when necessary. I used flat bottom tanks(the worst kind to clean but the cheapest) and what we had to do was tip the tank up toward the drain as it got toward the bottom with 2x4s and blocks. When the tank was empty except for a gallon or so that would'nt drain, I uncoupled the hose from the RO and, directing the flow outside,(You could just put in a valve to direct it. I probably will)I used a spray hose to wash it out then I vacuumed out the particles and the rest of the wash water with a clean shop(wet) vac with a pvc extension I added to the end before adding a fresh load of sap. It sounds like a big deal but its not that bad really. I have no problem doing it this way for a few years until I can afford to buy round bottom stainless. Then I can use the plastic tanks for sap collection or I can sell them without a great loss.

lpakiz
04-27-2014, 10:09 AM
I have discovered that it not terribly difficult to clean a plastic tote, using what we called a "bulk tank brush" combined with a long, sturdy handle. The brush and handle will enter the small fill hole, and you can manipulate the brush thru the opening, brushing all surfaces except the underside. I use the fill hole as a "fulcrum" and lever the brush around inside with sufficient force that it scrubs all the stains off the bottom and sides. If the underside needs brushing, a short handled brush and your arm, inside the opening, will get almost all areas there, too.
Yes, there are the the usual shortcomings about complete draining. I also have to block up the side opposite the drain, but with a hose and hot water, I can get them very clean.
Stainless steel is still the best, and the eventual goal, but for transporting sap, totes sure are handy.

jrmaple
04-27-2014, 04:07 PM
I also like the stainless, round bottom tanks better for the same reasons that they completely drain, they are easy to clean and access, and don't let sunlight to the sap; but for transporting or just starting out on a limited budget, poly tanks are awesome; if you have one of the 800-1000+ gallon poly tanks which are big enough to climb into, they are a really easy to wash using a power washer with hot water and just tilt up to drain. One of the reason I believe people don't like poly tanks that much is also because they show every piece of dirt, mold, or anything that is discolored and they can get stained. But one down side to the stainless round bottom is that you have to make a cover for them, and if you don't keep them covered, they is a lot of opportunity for stuff to get into the sap.

mountain man maple
04-27-2014, 05:15 PM
If poly tanks are in a well shaded area they would be alright for sap collection tanks. If they are in sunny spots they act almost like a greenhouse. I have 4 500-1100 gal poly tanks and in process of replacing them all with stainless because of cleaning issues. Will keep them for storage of raw sap in camp and also for permeate storage. Cage tanks work great to haul sap they will drain completely.

Loch Muller
04-27-2014, 06:23 PM
I've got a couple of cage tanks and a 125 gallon leg tank, because that is what I can afford for now. I clean them with a pressure washer and a brush on a stick as described above. Sometimes I roll them on their side so I can reach my arm inside better. They do the job, but I'll switch to stainless as soon as I can afford to for sap storage. Probably keep the plastic ones for collection and transport tanks.

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-27-2014, 08:43 PM
Plastic for gathering is fine, but a plastic tank in a field+ sun light=green house effect = super bacteria multipling infinitely
Even our tanks we use to gather we clean out every time with a hose.

Bucket Head
04-27-2014, 11:13 PM
I do as Flat Lander does. I rinse every time too. Plastic tank in a truck+ sunlight= nasty. Yeah, it takes a little more time and is a hassle, but its worth it. You don't have to scrub/brush a tank that you don't allow anything to "grow" in it.

Steve

Loch Muller
04-28-2014, 05:10 AM
I've definitely seen the green house happen to my tanks, even in a mostly shaded forested spot. Next year I might try a couple pieces of old metal roofing over top. I try to locate them under some hemlocks and firs and use a couple buckets of water to rinse them out when it is warm since I don't have a hose in the woods. I suspect that I'd have to do the same thing with a stainless tank, but maybe less often.

lpakiz
04-28-2014, 06:47 AM
I have a 300 gallon SS milk tank collecting sap in the woods. It has 2 flat lids that open like wings. I brush it down every time I empty it, just using sap, no rinse. Keeps the slime off real well.

maineboiler
04-30-2014, 09:03 AM
I have a stainless steel holding tank as well. I'd like to keep it rust and corrosion free. Any ideas on how to protect the metal during the off season ?

nymapleguy607
04-30-2014, 10:13 AM
My thought is that if sap is going to spend any amount of time in the tank I want it to be stainless. I have a 400 gallon bulk tank in the woods, and another at the sugar house for storage, transporting I use a 325 gallon poly tank. The stainless is definitly easier to clean and keep clean.

Bucket Head
04-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Maineboiler,

If your tank is stainless steel, you don't have to do anything to it to prevent rust and corrosion. People get in trouble when they put steel items in them, say for off season storage. That ends up making a rust stain at best and at worst I've seen small pin holes develop where the two different metals corroded. I have an old stainless milker pail that had nails in it at one time and it now can be used as a sprinkling can!

Steve

maineboiler
05-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the advice Have a good summer

Rselleck91
05-29-2014, 05:21 AM
I started with a 300 poly as a holding tank. I went to stainless holding tanks it was the way to go. I have 2 poly tanks I've had for 8 years I blast them with a pressure washer quickly once a day they still look brand new but I only use them for transport as the do not leak and there light. I have considered buying an old fire truck or milk trailer with a stainless tank to haul as I find myself growing every year

BreezyHill
05-29-2014, 04:44 PM
Caution on the fire truck. Our district has lost two SS units due to tank failure. Pulling water from brooks and ponds pulls in sediment and micro organisms that damage the tanks. The sediment's mineral content damages the tanks. Some trucks are even have steel tanks so be careful.

Polys are good but a little harder to clean and want to be out of the sun if possible for added years of use.

Ben

markct
06-03-2014, 08:13 PM
I use poly only for permeate water pretty much, even my truck tank I finaly went to stainless and love it for being easy to clean and drains out entirely.