PDA

View Full Version : Maple cookies or bread?

NTBugtraq
04-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Been trying to figure out how to substitute white or brown sugar with maple syrup (without turning the syrup into sugar). I figure I can make adjustments to recipes for the water content in syrup, but it would be nice if someone already have a basic recipe or two. Also, how much is too much...as in, how much maple flavor do you think is too much?

I kinda want to give my customers a taste of something other than the pure sweetness of syrup (I got small Dixie cups to do that), so they don't see it as pure sugar. So I have a maple bread rising as I type, but would also like to do small maple cookies...anyone got a recipe?

Cheers,
Russ

happy thoughts
04-27-2014, 08:06 AM
The substitution is 3/4 Cup maple syrup minus 3 Tablespoons liquid called for in the recipe for every Cup of sugar in a recipe. The recipe will come out less sweet as the substitution is not equal in sweetness to the dry sugar being replaced. Replacing only half the sugar is sometimes suggested.

Here's a simple recipe for all maple syrup oatmeal cookies from "The Vermont Maple Syrup Cookbook".

1 Cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 Cup quick oats
1/2 cup chopped nuts or raisins
1/2 Cup shortening
1 egg well beaten
3/4 Cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla

Sift flour, salt, and baking powder together. Add oats and nuts and mix well.

In a large bowl, beat egg and shortening until light and fluffy. Add syrup and vanilla and mix well.

Combine dry ingredients with moist ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Drop by small spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 400F for 8-12 minutes. Makes about 6 dozen.

NTBugtraq
04-27-2014, 06:29 PM
ty so much!

Cheers,
Russ