PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Niter

TooManyIrons...
04-22-2014, 10:48 AM
This is in reply to a question from another active thread in this forum, thought it might be good to discuss on a separate thread. Regarding the subject of niter, I have read many of the discussions in the other mapletrader forums but right now I am interested in gleaning some fresh information on this topic from folks in Minnesota and the surrounding areas. I simply find local and regional experiences to be more valuable than experiences of folks half a continent away.

Question:
Anyone else from MN have heavy niter this year?

I had a lot of niter created during the process, but I do not have enough experience to know whether it was more than usual this year or for that matter whether niter creation even varies from year to year (I would suspect it does). My jars of syrup are pretty clear, just a wisp of stuff at the bottoms. The 2-quart jars I filled have around a one sixteenth inch layer of sediment settled out at the bottom, but that is a lot of syrup in one jar so I would expect there to be more. While the sediment looks solid, when I disturb it I can see that the stuff consists of very, very fine particles - I can easily see how it got through my filtration materials. IMO it is not realistic to use any finer filter material because mine clogged up quickly enough as it was. I must also admit that it is entirely possible that not enough time has passed for complete settlement to have occurred in the jars yet. I still have some one year old jars of syrup from my first year. There is a quarter inch of sediment settled out at the bottom of the half pint jars. I am glad I improved from that result.

I used a lot of filtering stages (6 total) in my process this year. I also filtered quite a few times during the boil by hand-ladling the boiling hot syrup through a hand-held filter setup that I made, letting the filtered sap-syrup simply drain right back into the pot. It is amazing how the cloudy boiling sap-syrup clears up so nicely from doing this. I do not really know if it is fact or not regarding niter buildup affecting boil rate, syrup color, flavor, etc. but I really like the idea of boiling clean clear liquid as free of impurities as is possible or practical. Though I have read discussions about it, I also do not know whether high heat during boil causes increased niter creation. If true that would be a bit of a bummer for me because I like to boil using high heat.

I went through around twenty homemade filters per processing day. They are reusable, but I do not know yet how many times. My strategy was to use the most used, most worn filters for initial niter removal during the boil, where perfection is not necessary. As the days wore on, every processing day I would use one last time and then toss out five of the most worn filters and introduce five new ones into the inventory. A simple rinse in the reverse direction using warm water from a small diameter hose (to get higher pressure) that screws on to the sink faucet cleaned the filters out nicely. I then placed them in boiling distilled water for sterilization, although as much of a clean freak as I am I question the need to do this step. Total cost of filter material was around $12 and most are still usable, at least to start out next season.

My final filtering method was overnight decantation (longer might be better). As recommended, I also kept the reheated syrup below 190 degrees during the bottling process to avoid niter creation.

It never occurred to me to keep accurate records of it, but even after all my filtering during processing I still removed around 3 pints of niter in total (at most) from my 13 gallons of syrup following decantation. I do not know if this information means anything or is of any value...

SilverLeaf
04-22-2014, 11:28 AM
In my experience, the niter this year was about average.

I don't think its possible to completely filter out the niter without investing in a filter press. The "old time decanter" method, which is more or less what you're doing, is the only other viable option. A couple weeks or so shoudl be enough time for the vast majority to settle in the bottom. You won't get it 100% but it'll be close

I also do not know whether high heat during boil causes increased niter creation
Anytime the syrup is over 190-195 degrees its producing niter, regardless of whether you have high heat or medium heat. So if the syrup is boiling you know its over 195 and is thus producing niter. This is a challenge, by the way, if you are letting the sediment settle before bottling. That bit on the bottom by the burner is almost guaranteed to get over 195 (even if the rest of the syrup doesn't) and when it does will produce more niter, so in the end you will sort of be working against yourself. I learned this the hard way! The only way around this is with a water jacket canner of some sort.

RileySugarbush
04-22-2014, 11:42 AM
We had a normal amount of niter this year, more towards the end of the season. The filter press ( on of Daryl Sheet's 5") worked well.

TooManyIrons...
04-23-2014, 10:59 AM
#1) I am repeating this question because I would really like some input from more experienced folks: Does having a lot of niter in the batch negatively affect the boil rate? In other words, am I making my process more efficient by filtering out niter during the day-long boil? Am I improving the quality of my syrup by doing so?

#2) During the evaporation process, doesn't a strong boil keep the niter agitated and in suspension in the liquid? No expert here but I find it hard to believe that any of it would stay settled at the bottom during boiling, causing potential problems. Point being, if I continue to keep hand-filtering during the day-long boil I should be minimizing niter creation, should I not? This process also allows me to remove a lot of niter before doing final finishing and then the decantation once the syrup is finished.

The first two processing days I did not do any random filtering during the boil, as a result there was an amazing amount of niter settled out after overnight decantation. Also, when I did the final finishing on the stove of those first two batches there was so much niter that the syrup looked dull and grainy and actually quite unappealing. I noticed a huge improvement when I started random filtering during the boil. In fact I would say that I was easily removing 80-90% of the niter produced before the final finishing on the stove.

#3) How long can/should a person keep a batch of unsealed syrup on the counter decanting? Are spoilage or flavor degradation possible issues to worry about? Any point to decanting longer than overnight? (It is my opinion that most of the niter settles out very quickly when the syrup is hot and of a low viscosity.)

My steps were: Main evaporation. Final finishing on stove. Overnight decantation, starting immediately while the syrup is hot from finishing. Next day: Pour off clear syrup from sediment. Reheat to around 185 and bottle. By pouring off the clear syrup into another container, I am leaving the sediment behind that could cause problems during reheat and bottling.

#4) When doing batch method like me, do most people save all the batches and blend together then bottle everything at once in order to compensate for batch variations or do they bottle batches as they are finished?

Thanks for all responses to this thread, they are much appreciated! I am still learning and I much prefer knowing why or how things work rather than just taking things for granted. I mean, how else can a person improve? :-)

SDdave
04-23-2014, 09:12 PM
1.) A.)Yes. If it cakes on the pan. On a continuous flow set up it will cake on and then have to clean, switch draw off sides, etc. 1.B) Yes/no. How much time are you spending on it? End of the day would be best IMHO. 1.C) Yes, get rid of much of that stuff as possible. Bettter little bit at the end of the day then having a lot around bottling time.

2.) You got me there, I don't know. I think it would be best to filter at night rather than doing it throughout the boil. But, how much time you have during your boil to filter is up to you.

3.) Most of the niter that settles out in your perfectly sealed, 100% clear, beautiful syrup actually comes from the niter fairy that puts it in there after it has sat in the dark pantry for a month. I swear I'm going to kill that little guy!! All seriousness, that is when I notice the vast majority of the niter deposits is around a month in the sealed jars. The only spoilage that comes to my mind is mold, but that can be skimmed off and reboiled.

4.) Personal preference. I do it all together in a blend.

SDdave