PDA

View Full Version : Want to build

sportfreak15
04-22-2014, 09:35 AM
I have looked and looked for drawings to build a evaporator with finishing pan. Basically my plan is to build something similar to what is currently being marketed in the mid price range that will evaporate 50+GPH. I figure none of the big companies are sharing models but seems like someone has to have come up with something. I made a 2x2 this year that ran off a turkey cooker and evaporated 6+GPH. That was perfect for the 30 buckets we had out this year. It definitely will not cut it with what we have planned for next season. Have considered buying a bumped and bruised used set up and reconditioning it. Something rewarding about building from scratch is holding me back. If anyone can point me in a good direction it would be much appreciated

Bernie/MA
04-29-2014, 08:10 AM
When I built a rig for a neighbor over 30 years ago I went and measured a friend's and made my own drawings. I don't have them anymore.

jrmaple
04-29-2014, 09:05 AM
It depends on what size pans you want to use and is it going to have flues, a steam hood and preheater, forced draft? Also do you want to use an oil tank or use angle iron and sheet metal to build a "real" look-a-like evaporator? There's many ways to do it; even if you buy a set of pans from Sunrise or Smokey lake for much less of the cost of pans from Leader, DG, Lap, etc, and then build your own arch, it will still be rewarding in the long run.

regor0
04-29-2014, 10:59 AM
look at this
http://www.sugarbush.info/forums/home-built-maple-equipment/2149-3x12-build-kracken.html
not exactly what you wanted but it'll help.

sportfreak15
05-06-2014, 10:37 AM
That was a fun forum to read. It sounds like he did very much what I hope to do. He does not seem to be in much of a hurry to release many details though. I will keep digging, probably measure up a couple of other peoples units and see what I can come up with. Thanks for all the pointers!

moeh1
05-06-2014, 11:35 AM
There was a "Davy Jones" drawing for a basic arch some time ago. Big Eddy did a nice job describing home built pans and the brake he made to bend them.

regor0
05-06-2014, 02:50 PM
That was a fun forum to read. It sounds like he did very much what I hope to do. He does not seem to be in much of a hurry to release many details though. I will keep digging, probably measure up a couple of other peoples units and see what I can come up with. Thanks for all the pointers!

He started selling them. Look for building a flue pan by big eddy.