PDA

View Full Version : oil fired evaporator???

LittleGuy
01-08-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm planing on building an arch for my pans. I have 2 3X3 pans, so the evaoprator arch will be about 3X6.5.

Question 1: how far back before the arch should start it's slope upwards?

Question 2: How high off the bottom should I position the nozzle??

and finally, how does it get air?? do I need to drill holes for it to breath??

Thaks for the early help, I'm new to this so, all help is appreciated.

[/url]

Fred Henderson
01-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Are you using flat bottom pans? The air comes thu the burnner gun. I think a rule of thumb is to have the burnner 12" off the bottom. I can tell you more when I find out if your pans are flat.

LittleGuy
01-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Fred, both pans are flat. Got the burner today, from a 2 year old furnace. The people had it installed, now they're switching to Gas.

Furnace guy is going to install it on the arch for nothing, as soon as it's finished. Got the burner for $100.

Going to use 2 layers of blanket, 3 around the burner.

Right now the biggest problem is finding the right design for the stack.

So I don't need ahy holes, other then the stack and where the burner Mounts. Is that correct.

Thanks again.

maplwrks
01-08-2007, 06:49 PM
On our demo evaporator that the county assoc. has at the fair sugarhouse, Leader put on an 8" collar that stovepipe would fit over. This evaporator is a Revolution and is only 4-5yrs old. This might be a cheaper avenue for you to pursue.

LittleGuy
01-08-2007, 07:04 PM
maplwrks,

I'm building this evaporator from scrap, except the burner and blanket. Most material I already have, it's just a matter of puting it together.

The pipe I will buy new.

I can't afford a manufactured evaporator yet, :( so I'm making due with what's available.

Tried my hand at syruping last year, and I think it's worse then a drug addiction. :lol:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-08-2007, 07:20 PM
Sounds like to me you are doing a great job and on the right track! :D :D :D :D :D

Fred Henderson
01-09-2007, 05:11 AM
You will need a small hole above the burner to inspect the flame and it needs to have a cover. The stack does NOT need to be tapered like on a woodfired unit. Just use a round pipe 8 or 10 inches in dia. That way the fires ball stays under the pans longer.