PDA

View Full Version : Can I add Vanilla to MY syrup ?

TerryEspo
04-18-2014, 11:09 AM
My kids are asking if dad can put some vanilla flavour in our syrup for home. We enjoy that mixture flavour. We have liquid vanilla from Mexico that was given to us and I want to try some of that.
Not sure how much, maybe a table spoon in a small batch.

Any concerns I should have?

Thanks.

Run Forest Run!
04-18-2014, 11:15 AM
Hi Terry. I saw photos online that someone had posted about a great gift idea. They put a whole vanilla bean into a bottle of pure maple syrup. It infused a gorgeous vanilla flavour into the already delicious syrup. I think it is definitely worth a try and I'd keep it in the fridge, to be on the safe side.

If you really like the flavour of the Mexican vanilla extract that you were given you could try it with a little bit, and then add more if you wanted. I've had some funky vanilla extract given to me that I found a little off-putting, so make sure you like the smell and taste of it before you add it to your golden treasure. I'd be more of a vanilla bean girl than the extract.

Give it a whirl!

TerryEspo
04-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Hi Karen:

Too funny you gave a rapid reply, it was your post about the vanilla bean that has us thinking about all this. I was at the grocery store a few days ago and they had no vanilla beans, so we are stuck with just the liquid for now.

Your post about vanilla bean is all to blame, LOL.

I will try it in one bottle today as I am bottling. I have a batch on the stove inside right now, almost done.

Thanks

Run Forest Run!
04-18-2014, 11:22 AM
I think you mean this;

Yeah, it looked too good to pass up.

full moon maple
04-18-2014, 02:52 PM
We made a few bottles this year after seeing your previous post and it tastes awesome!:rolleyes:

rayi
04-19-2014, 09:46 AM
Sounds good. I'll have to put that on the list for next year. My grand daughter took some maple nuts and stirred in some peanut butter just before it set up. Everyone went nuts over it. Sorry for the bad pun

Ausable
04-19-2014, 10:46 AM
It probably would be quite good. One of my favorites is Maple Syrup over French Vanilla Ice Cream. So Why not vanilla in maple syrup. --Mike--

Waynehere
04-20-2014, 08:21 PM
It probably would be quite good. One of my favorites is Maple Syrup over French Vanilla Ice Cream. So Why not vanilla in maple syrup. --Mike--

Yep, what Mike said.. Except I am out and will have to run to the store now.... :(

scottdevine
01-25-2017, 08:37 PM
Bringing this one back from 2014! I decided this year to infuse with vanilla bean scraped, and a cinnamon stick (different bottles). We just tasted them...WOW....the cinnamon is my favorite between the 2. I think i scrapped too much of the bean in the syrup. Our syrup is filtered meticulously, but with the scrapping in there, it looks like floating sediment when shakin. Once it sits for a while, the beans float to the top and the syrup looks pristine again. We are playing with flavors and just wanted to inform others that you should give infusion a try if you can afford to play with your batches, i am glad we did, and will continue to play with the vanilla (on smaller scales) to try and get it "right".1517415175

barnbc76
01-25-2017, 08:45 PM
Sounds interesting can you elaborate further, when do you put it in, at bottling?, how much, Cinnamon sounds good so does vanilla.

Run Forest Run!
01-26-2017, 12:51 AM
Your infused syrups look wonderful Scott. How long would you have to wait before the cinnamon flavour transfers from the stick to the syrup?

Haynes Forest Products
01-26-2017, 01:05 AM
Scott good to see Im not alone doing the cinnamon. a fellow producer turned me on to the way he did it. Next time Im going to do full, half and quarter sticks. I have a few customers call it maple syrup crack. It is good but can get overly strong for some tastes.

scottdevine
01-26-2017, 06:05 AM
The bean and cinnamon go in right at time of bottling (they go in first, to avoid overage). Both infuse within 24hrs, as i tasted my samples after that period and was really surprised how quickly it happens, (especially with the cinnamon). The vanilla needs help, either slitting the bean, or scraping. The scraping seems slightly overpowering to me (still very good, and for vanilla lovers probably delicious!) For future batches, I will slit my beans and shake which would allow some beans to escape while infusing over time (maybe a week?) this is my second full sugaring season, and i am just playing with flavors, but after testing my samples last night, i searched MT to see if anyone in the past had played around with infusion. If others are infusing, please continue to post and share. I have seen the bourbon posts, are there other flavors? I have not figured out portion ratio per 8oz and 12oz, so each get a full stick of either. I like the novelty, now i have to figure out how to sell a few bottles. here are my samples prior to filling. I forgot to mention the cinnamon is amazing!

red dorakeen
01-26-2017, 06:40 AM
Vanilla sounds great. I'll be trying that.

Haynes Forest Products
01-26-2017, 09:10 AM
jalapenos is being done also. Now to me that is like peanut flavored beer YUK

Canary2323
01-26-2017, 09:23 AM
So do you just pour hot syrup off cinnamon stick and leave it, that's it?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

scottdevine
01-26-2017, 09:34 AM
not sure of a correct process, but i prepped my bottles, inserted a vanilla bean or cinnamon stick, and filled bottles like normal, then capped.

scottdevine
01-26-2017, 09:35 AM
jalapenos is being done also. Now to me that is like peanut flavored beer YUK

i'd have to taste that first at a fair or something. i can't take a chance on some of mine! i really enjoy heat and spice, and it might be interesting, but i need a taste first.

Hannah
01-28-2017, 10:53 PM
The way we have done it in the past is to finish a small batch of syrup in the house, maybe a gallon or two. When the sap is around 214-215 degrees we throw in a couple cinnamon sticks. If the finished product is overpowering then adjust the next batch.

full moon maple
01-29-2017, 06:00 AM
After a good response to our Vanilla infused syrup we have now expanded to include Cinnamon, Blueberry, Jalapeņo and Habanero to our line up. They have been very popular especially the Habanero. Lots of fun offering taste tests and planning to add a few more flavors this year.15237

scottdevine
01-29-2017, 07:08 PM
The way we have done it in the past is to finish a small batch of syrup in the house, maybe a gallon or two. When the sap is around 214-215 degrees we throw in a couple cinnamon sticks. If the finished product is overpowering then adjust the next batch.

Interesting, so you infuse on the way up to 219, then bottle it, no infusion afterwards. hmmmmmm might have to give that a try. Your way the syrup infuses for a specific amount of time. My way, the cinnamon stick will continue to give cinnamon flavor for the life of the syrup. The habanero sounds tempting! How do you infuse blueberry? Or is that a trade secret? I really want to make a Maple stout, or Maple Liquor