PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Urn shopping

Diesel Pro
04-17-2014, 03:05 PM
I'd like to come up with a nice coffee urn that would hold 6 gallons comfortably. Can anyone make a recommendation for a nice SS unit of known quality? I could possibly look to 3 gallons, but 6 would match my finisher well.

harrison6jd
04-17-2014, 03:26 PM
I found mine on craigslist. I went from small electric unit i used without the heat just for bottling but now i have a larger 5 gallon unit that is insulated. No more rushing around to get it bottled before it cools. If you get a used one, disassemble the spigot before buying and be sure the insides are not junk. Might not be able to get parts. 9663

bstewar
04-17-2014, 07:56 PM
I may have a urn to sell. It is all stainless and I bought it new and used it one season. I have it set up so I can suspend a cone filter in it and filter syrup into it. It worked pretty slick. When I heated it up some syrup would crystallize so I would need to clean the heating element every few times after bottling or it would trip the internal breaker. I installed a weld less thermometer next to the spigot too. I switched to a 12x20 finisher/canner for my operation. I'll check the volume and grab some pics tomorrow when I'm back in for a boil (hopefully).

bstewar
04-18-2014, 11:32 PM
The urn I have is a Avantco 110 cup, double wall 1650 watt. It holds 6 to 7 gallons. I added a aluminum insertion top that attaches to the handles to get the height to suspend a cone filter. 96809680

Diesel Pro
04-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Does that one drain down to the bottom nicely? Looks like just what I am looking for. Something like this would serve me well as I could have the next batch on the burner while bottling. Also could start my hot rinse water for my press etc. Would be a real time saver.